Upcoming Boston Events You Don’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

With school officially back in session, it is time to say goodbye to that blissful time of year known as summer. Although we may be mourning the loss of our beloved friend, there is still reason to be excited for the new fall semester. The clothes are put away, the supplies are in order, and classes have already commenced. Wondering what to do as the weekend nears? Have no fear, the city is thriving with upcoming activities and events you won’t want to miss:

1. Boston Calling

Any Boston University student is familiar with Boston Calling. But if you are new to campus (or have been living under a rock), Boston Calling is the perfect weekend concert getaway. The indie rock/alternative music festival features a lineup of 23 musicians (including this year’s Walk the Moon, Hozier and Of Monsters and Men), all who play in an outdoor arena in Government Center. Be warned though: high temperatures and masses of bodies can be a recipe for disaster. Make sure to stay hydrated and wear cool, breathable clothing!                                           

Location: City Hall Plaza, Boston, MA

Dates: September 25th – 27th, times vary according to day

2. SOWA (South End Open Market)

From organic produce to fine, handcrafted artwork, SOWA offers anything and everything to satisfy the soul. The market features a variety of open markets and a farmer’s market, as well as a uniquely Boston vintage market. Fix your food craving with a trip to one of the many food trucks that line the area, and then experience the SoWa art walk on your way out.

Location: 460 Harrison Ave., Boston, MA, specific event location and times vary

Dates: Every Sunday through October 25th

3. Mindy Kaling Comes to Boston

Calling all comedy lovers! Actress, writer, and self-proclaimed funny woman Mindy Kaling will be visiting Boston during her upcoming book tour. She will have two stops in Boston where she will be doing a book signing and in-conversation event. Although the tickets are currently sold out for the in-conversation event due to high demand, the signing may still have availabilities (more information to be announced soon on this event). Make sure to check back on the website for updates.

Location: Brookline Booksmith, 279 Harvard St., Brookline, MA

Dates: Monday, September 14th at 7pm

Website: http://theconcernsofmindykaling.com

4. Cupcake Walking Tour

Perfectly crafted frosting and mini succulent cakes are enough to make any mouth water. Tour the town with the Cupcake Walking Tour and visit Boston’s best bakeries. The best part: getting to sample cupcake upon cupcake. The 2.5 hour walking tour starts at South End Buttery on Shawmut Avenue and showcases some of the most famous landmarks and neighborhoods the city has to offer. This event is perfect for a date or a day out with the girls. Limited tickets sold at $27.50.

Location: South End Buttery, 314 Shawmut Ave., Boston, MA

Dates: Saturday, September 19th from 11 am – 1:30pm

Tickets: http://bit.ly/cupcake-walking-tour

5. Shakespeare on the beach

What better way to get back into school than spending a night with the Bard? The New Repertory Theatre will be performing their latest production of Julius Caesar at the BU Beach. Camp out on the lawn with some friends and enjoy an evening of exquisite poetry, drama, and live theater.

Location: BU Beach

Dates: Friday, September 18th at 8 pm

RSVP: wowbu.eventbrite.com

6. Book of Mormon

Little known to most, Boston is a thriving Broadway hub (second to our neighboring city of NYC). This fall, the nine-time Tony Award-winning Best Musical phenomenon Book of Mormon has finally arrived; for all theater lovers, it is a show that cannot be missed.

Location: City Emerson Colonial Theatre, 106 Boylston St., Boston, MA

Dates: September 1st – October 11th

Tickets: http://theatre-boston.com/events.php?search_text=The+Book+Of+Mormon+Bost…

7. Cambridge Carnival

The party has arrived in Boston with the Cambridge Carnival. Reminiscent of Brazil’s spectacular carnival extravaganza, the event will feature a colorful parade of tropical-inspired music, costume, and dance. Celebrating its 23rd year, the festival will also include a variety of performers as well as food and craft vendors. The parade, starting at Blackstone and River Street and ending in Kendall Square, will take place rain or shine.

Location: Blackstone and River St., Cambridge, MA 

Date: Sunday, September 13th at 12:30 pm

8. Lawn on D

The Lawn on D is a one of a kind outdoor interactive space in Boston. With a mature spin on a childhood favorite, the Lawn on D includes avant-garde swing designs and other interactive installations. The 2.7 acre venue hosts a variety of unique events, as well as an open air bar Thursday through Sunday, until October 12th. Upcoming events include a free music festival called Sound of our Town, which features a stellar lineup of local artists from a range of different genres. Enjoy the quirky and creative setting while temperatures still permit.

Location: Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, 420 D St., Boston, MA

Event: Sound of Our Town – Thursday, September 24th from 5-10 pm

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis