Top 5 Indoor Workouts for the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As the daylight hours shorten and the weather gets colder, workout motivation sometimes drops with the temperature. With the weather outside becoming frightful, it is all the more tempting to hibernate in your warm bed with Netflix and your favorite men, Ben and Jerry. Fight that urge, ladies! Staying active throughout the winter is a great way to maintain physical health and to avoid the creeping in of the winter blues by staying in high spirits. 

Too cold for a jog on the esplanade?  Not light enough in the early morning for sunrise yoga?  Trip to the gym seem out of reach?  There are plenty of ways to keep in shape when winter cramps your workout style.  Start by following a workout routine in the comfort of your dorm, guided by YouTube exercise expert Cassey Ho of Blogilates.  Clear a small space in your room and let these Top 5 YouTube Indoor Workouts lead you to a happy and healthy rest of the season.

1. What’s better than working out to your favorite pump-up songs?  Working out to a routine specially customized to those hits. In Cassey’s Official Pop Song Challenges series, sweat it out to your guilty-pleasure pop hits, including jams by Carly Rae Jepsen, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift.  Each video features a different song and an accompanying workout that will have you belting tunes while you tone your figure.     
  2. New to pilates?  The Official Beginner’s Workout is just what you need to ease into the positions and moves every pilates guru should know.  By the end of the series, you’ll feel more comfortable on the mat and you’ll be ready to conquer some of Cassey’s more advanced videos. 
  3. Doing pilates might not guarantee the body of Adriana Lima or Miranda Kerr.  But if you’re looking to feel the burn inspired by the workout of a Victoria’s Secret angel, no look further than the Victoria’s Secret series.  You’ll be feeling catalogue ready after arm-toning and leg-shaping in stilettos.  
  4. Cassey’s Bikini Blaster series is the perfect solution to staying fit before it’s time to step out in a bikini during spring break.  If you’re planning a tropical beach-side vacation or are a regular at the pool, this workout will get you in tip-top swimsuit shape.
  5. What’s better exercise motivation than the melodic voices of a British boy band? In Cassey’s One Direction series, allow the five British heartbreakers to provide the tunes for a workout that is sure to have your heart racing.  Swooning optional.    

Ultimately, during these long winter months it is imperative to keep moving and stay fit. With these five indoor workouts, you will be able to stay in shape without ever having to leave your dorm. These easy and fun YouTube workouts will allow you to have the best of both worlds–stay inside and stay active.  By the time the season changes, you’ll be ready to continue with your outdoor routines.  

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.