Top 3 Media Outlets to Sell Your Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all know that dreadfully painful yet oddly refreshing time of the year when we have to clean out our closets. Whether its parting with your once favorite dress that is now two sizes two small, or simply purging your overloading drawers to make room for the new, many of us dread this laborious (and often nostalgic) tradition. But with a growing number of fashion apps, fashionistas can now sell their clothes online or swap their old gems for fresh new duds. These apps provide an economical way to liven up your wardrobe, and you can even make a few bucks off of your unwanted items. Here are the top 3 media outlets in which you can buy, trade, and sell old clothes:

1.     Vinted

Want to switch out your old clothes for something new and improved, or even sell them to make a profit? Well, Vinted can help you do just that. Vinted is a free fashion application that is essentially a mobile mall for users. Users who make an account upload photos of clothes they either want to swap or sell and list a short description and price for each item.

The app is extremely easy to navigate and allows you to search for specific items. You can favorite items that you like and may want to return to later. Vinted also has a messaging feature so you can contact other “Vinties” in order to make transactions. By following users whose repertoire you may like, you create a feed where their items instantly show up on your home page.

The app has a 19 percent service fee that is charged to the seller. There is an instant calculator that allows the seller to see exactly how much they will get to keep in order to set their prices for items accordingly.

The only downside to the app is that the buyer is charged for shipping fees, so any alterations to this set up must be discussed between the buyer and the seller (i.e. the price of the buyer’s item would also include shipping costs).

Vinted, however, is a fast and simple way to make a quick buck off of your old clothes or update your wardrobe without breaking your bank. The site now has nearly 3 million members, and is definitely worth checking out.

2.     Instagram

Okay, so this app is nothing new to us. Although most of us use this app to post pictures of our latest adventures, Instagram is a great outlet for fashionistas. Users can set up an account separate from their own private account and create a venue for selling clothes.

Simply come up with a catchy name, detail a short description and include a clear picture for each item, list purchase and shipping costs, and “voila!” You’ve created your own little business. Make sure to incorporate relevant hashtags for each item to attract customers and follow lots of people on the site in order to gain visibility. Check other fashion accounts to compare prices on similar items. Some may even be willing to trade items. The biggest advantage of Instagram is that the app does not deduct from a user’s selling price. Happy shopping! 

3.     Poshmark

Poshmark is another free fashion app that allows users to buy, sell and trade clothes. Poshmark features virtual closets that each user can build up and share on social media sites. The app also includes filters that you can add to your photos (although this seems to detract from the authenticity of the item’s true color.) Another neat aspect of this app is that it allows you to customize your searches by size and preference. Like Vinted, you can follow particular users whose items will appear in your feed.

A signature component of Poshmark is its “Posh Parties,” virtual shopping and selling parties that are themed.

Poshmark takes 20 percent of the commission made on sold items. Sellers do get to set their own prices. When a buyer purchases an item, the seller is sent a prepaid shipping label (which is paid for by the seller) and then the item is ready to be sent by mail. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.