Thoughts You Had While Watching the 2014 VS Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Decadent lingerie, fluttery wings, rock-hard abs, and impeccable spray tans: all of these have come to be well-known staples of the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. And this year was no exception. Each show seems to get bigger and better and showcase some of today’s most popular artists in the music industry. So grab your popcorn, and let’s recap the most memorable moments of the 2014 VS Fashion Show. While watching the show, here are some thoughts that probably ran through your mind once or twice throughout the night:

1.     The fantasy bras were pretty spectacular.

Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrósio stepped out in the glittering mirror-image fantasy sets encrusted with sapphires, rubies, and diamonds. The cost of these spectacular duds? Probably more than my college tuition (they are in fact priced at $2 million a piece).

2.     The wings keep getting wackier.

No VS model’s ensemble would be complete without her wings, and this year the fashion show upped the ante with even crazier, extravagant wing sets. With towering pieces that were nearly double the size of their models, it is a wonder how the women managed to walk upright down the runway. Other wings took a less traditional approach; is that Karlie Gloss wearing a gilded shawl? Her outfit is actually an homage to a golden Phoenix.

3.     Is that a VS model? Nope, it’s just Taylor Swift.

Swift wore lingerie-inspired garb as she performed at the VS Fashion Show alongside BFF Karlie Kloss. The sassy singer took things a little too far when she stepped out in a silk robe and matching bodice dress. Sorry Tswift, but you should have left the modeling act to the professionals. (On another note, it’s questionable that Taylor Swift actually sang at the show. Her lack-luster performance seemed the product of lip syncing. But I’ll let you judge this for yourself.)

4.     We love Hosier, but he just seemed out of place.

Hosier is an extremely talented artist with an affinity for soulful ballads, but his melodies were a bit too somber for the high-energy show. His long flowing hair and all black suit made him seem like a moody coffee-shop crooner in the midst of light-hearted, technicolor festivities.

5.     Ariana Grande getting smacked by Angel wings should have been a part of the show.

While performing one of her up-beat pop numbers during the Pink portion of the show, Ariana was undoubtedly smacked in the face by an Angel’s wings as she made her way to the end of the runway. Although the humorous moment didn’t make it into the televised show, Grande’s horrified expression has made for some pretty great memes circulating around the Internet.

6.     Ed Sheeran, you are perfect.

With the 2014 show taking place in London, who better to perform than the illustrious songwriter and native Brit Ed Sheeran? No matter the venue, Ed Sheeran dazzles audiences with his beautiful voice and laid-back persona, even if he is competing for attention with the VS models.

7.     Models Adriana Lima and Alessandra Ambrósio both have two children each?!

Their stunning physiques make this extremely hard to believe.

8.     Well, I better just keep eating my pizza and enjoy the show.

Although these models seem to exemplify the perfect, fit body, Lima revealed in 2011 that her pre-runway diet consists of a two-week period of eating no solids followed by a 12 hour “drying out” period in which no liquids are consumed. I am no expert, but this seems highly unhealthy. I think I’ll stick to my carbs.

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis