Their Way, Our Way: Her Campus College Fashion Week Kicks off in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This past Friday, free treats met wearable campus fashions at Her Campus’ College Fashion Week’s Boston debut. Her Campus teamed with Kotex to promise collegiates a night to remember; or as they put it, “to spice up your life!” Windsor Hanger, one of the fabulous HC founders, was the fashionable host of College Fashion Week.

Her Campus took over The Estate and transformed this nightclub, bringing the New York Fashion Week atmosphere to Boston college students. Upon entering, guests eagerly welcomed the exclusive but fun vibe of fashion weeks, with the dim lighting and music of nightclubs we know all too well in college. Upstairs, College Survival Packs stuffed full with Luna Bars, Classy Cups, Scunci hair ties, and UNREAL candy bars, greeted collegiates. For those who didn’t have enough of the event’s free treats—obviously, all of us—there was free Pinkberry and Chipotle as well.

Free food aside, the highlight of CFW was of course, the fashion! Have you ever seen a runway show showing off future trends? Say, models in winter clothes making their way down the runway, while you’re still in shorts?! Well, this runway show was a bit different. Her Campus brought us a fashion show with clothes we could buy and wear right away, even modeled by local college students! The show was broken down into the essentials every college girl needs to fit into her too-small dorm closet: clothes for class, the gym, weekends, and formals.

Whether you were at the foot of the CFW runway, or back at BU, I’m sure you’re sick of hearing about the event and ready to see some cute clothes already! Read on for the HCBU College Fashion Week Photo Essay. And yes, that is code for cute clothes. Be sure to look out for our fabulous team members Lyla Kamigaki, Schuyler Silverman, Jomarie Polanco, Maggie Scenna, Sam Bello, and Brooke Fitzgerald showing those New York Fashion Week models how it’s really done on the runway. 

[pagebreak]

The show kicked off with what to wear to class. Collegiates strutted down the runway, dressed in cute skirts, jeans, and scarves perfect for a Boston Fall. The show’s lineup reminded us that dressing nicely for class can be fun! Afterall, you never know who you might bump into on BU’s campus!

Their Way                                                                               Our Way

Colored jeans were a staple of this past summer, and the trend is here to stay for fall. Trade in your pastels for deeper colors such as purple, royal blue, and army green. This look is an easy way to spice up your class wardrobe. Schuyler turned a summery hue into a wearable fall trend by pairing orange jeans with a denim blouse.

The Dear Abbey’s Way?!?

[pagebreak]

The true tip to a successful workout lies in what you wear. Looking good means feeling good, and you definitely want to feel your best in the gym! Trade in your sweats for some fitted work outfits—you’ll be able to move more freely without carrying the bulk of sweatshirts.

Their Way                                                                     Our Way

Leggings are always a safe call for the gym. To completely cut out baggy sweats from your gym attire, opt for a fitted top as well. HCBU Campus Correspondent, Elyssa Sternberg encourages us to get out and go to the gym!

[pagebreak]

Now that you’re a college girl, your weekend is probably packed with everything from shopping on Newbury to scoping out MIT frats. Her Campus featured daytime dresses and patterned pants for weekend days; and tight but classy dresses paired with high heels for when the sun goes down.

Their Way                                                                              Our Way

Leggings aren’t just for the gym—textured leggings are a great weekend staple. The busy collegiate is always looking for simple ways to transform a look from day to night. Dressed up here, this outfit could also be dressed down with boots and a sweater. Sarah’s skirt over tights look is another outfit that could work for a variety of weekend festivities. Her yellow skirt gives a pop of color to an otherwise all black outfit.

[pagebreak]

Last but not least, College Fashion Week was a reminder that any college girl loves to take the opportunity to dress up. Frat formals? Date parties? Yes please! Trade in your little black dress for a pop of color this party season.

Their Way                                                                          Our Way

Wear a tight-fitting dress in a bold color to really stand out. Of course, sequins never hurt either. Fall hues + bodycon= cocktail attire done right!

[pagebreak]

Thank you Her Campus for putting on a great show! College Fashion week is coming soon to Ann Arbor, Raleigh, and Santa Barbra—we wish we could go again!

Rebecca Shinners is a Her Campus Chapter Advisor and Photo Intern/Freelancer at O, The Oprah Magazine. She graduated from Boston University in 2014 with a BS in Journalism and concentration in Photojournalism. She got her start in magazines writing for Her Campus and was previously an Editor for both Her Campus BU and Her Campus Tulane. Her work has also appeared in Seventeen Magazine, Teen Vogue, Bustle.com, Hamptons Magazine, and Newsday. When Rebecca isn't busy writing and taking pictures, she can be found shopping, petting puppies, wearing the color mint, and going to concerts.More: http://rebeccashinners.weebly.com/