Study Abroad: Take the Jump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As I sat in the open door of a plane 14,000 feet in the air above Australia, my mind was utterly blank. All of my fears were completely wiped from my brain before the single moment of falling into the open air.  There was no turning back. The sixty seconds of free fall ticked by, and soon the parachute deployed, leaving me with time to look out over the horizon and contemplate the beautiful coastline.

On the way to the airport getting ready to jump, I was so nervous. My hands were sweating, doubts swirled through my head, and I thought of only the worst. But as it turns out, jumping out a plane ended up being one of the most exhilarating moments of my life, and honestl, I would do it again if I had the money.

I could say the same for my study abroad experience. Jumping out of a plane, snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, and zip-lining in New Zealand were all activities that seemed like a dream before traveling to Australia. Now they are a reality, and sadly a thing of the past as I pack up my apartment here in Sydney. However, I couldn’t be more glad that I decided to venture out of my comfort zone and move across the world-without a single friend at my side.

Although it was daunting at times, I can wholeheartedly recommend studying abroad to anyone. Even if you’re scared that you won’t make friends, will be homesick, and will miss out on happenings in Boston, I promise that living somewhere new will be a positive experience. You will make new friends, find a new home, and make your own memories for a lifetime: I certainly did!

As I head to the airport (planning to stay firmly in this plane, thank you!), I will be sad to leave Sydney, a place that has shown me that I do have the courage to set off on my own. However, I will smile at the memories I made. And you can, too. If you have any doubts about study abroad, leave them behind and take the leap like me. You won’t regret it. 

Elyssa is a "New Yourker" who has somehow ended up in Boston. She is currently studying journalism at Boston University and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the BU branch of Her Campus! She also enjoys theatre, frozen yogurt, and obsessively watching "Dancing with the Stars." When not doing any of above, she can be found quoting "Pirates of the Caribbean."