This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Advertisements for products that boast an “organic” or “free of chemicals” nature have been on the rise lately – when consumers seem to be growing increasingly concerned about what they put in and on their bodies. If you’re one of the many consumers that see these ads and quickly wonder what questionable choices you’re making with you’re skincare, you’re certainly not alone.

So, I’m going to break it down for you as simple as possible – what to look for and what to avoid, and then give you a few suggestions for products that are on the safe side.

AVOID parabens

This is my biggest one – as it has links to causing breast cancer in women. Scientists are still debating this one, but I would certainly avoid if possible.

AVOID

isopropyls, isocetyl and cetyl alcohol.

Sounds like a bunch of chemistry, right? Well that’s because it is. Look for anything that begins with “isopropyl” or “isocetyl”, and any cetyl alcohol. Not only do these products clog pores, but they also have a host of other bad long-term effects.

AVOID sulfates

At least in your skincare routine – sulfates in shampoo/conditioner aren’t as bad. Bad effects include eye damage, depression, labored breathing and skin irritation.

AVOID cocoa butter

Sounds harmless, right? Well cocoa butter itself doesn’t last very long, so the preservatives that come with this ingredient can be harmful to skin.

A General Rule:

When looking at the ingredients list, if any of the above ingredients is listed as the first ten, put it back on the shelf. If its further down the list, it probably uses amounts that are far less dangerous. You may also want to take the time to peruse this website, which ranks the safety of different products on a 1-10 scale. 

So What’s Safe?

Now don’t go throwing out all your face washes, makeup, moisturizers, etc. – its long-term use of these products that is bad for you. But beginning to integrate them into your routine certainly won’t help!

Face Washes: The “more gentle” the better. Try products like Cetaphil, Cerave, or Clean & Clear sensitive foaming face wash. Most Neutrogena products are pretty safe too – but check to label first. 

Moisturizers: Neutrogena Oil Free is good stuff. The Cetaphil and Cerave lotions are also good, and Ponds Dry Skin Cream is great for super-dry winter skin!

Make-Up (the drugstore kind): Organics by Physicians Formula is a newer brand that makes decent products for a good price, and Almay has a reputation for using safe ingredients that are not harmful to the skin. If you’re looking to spend a little bit more, some of BareMinerals’ products are good – but once again, check the label!

You don’t have to go out spending hundreds on a new skincare routine, but being conscious about what we put on (and in!) our bodies is just part of a healthy lifestyle.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.