The Long Distance Break Up: Get Up, Get Out, and Move On!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Margo Ghertner

You and your high school sweetheart decide to go the distance. They promises you that everything will be okay and the relationship will continue to prosper. Fast forward to a couple weeks into your new life at college and what happens? They decides to end things. What do you do now? You’re heartbroken.

Your loved ones who you might go to for comfort are a phone call away, but things aren’t the same. You’re also trying to make new friends at school, so you don’t want make your first impressions based off this time in your life. And we can’t forget about eating, sleeping, and academics! Not sure what to do? Leave it to us! Here are 11 tips and tricks so that you can get up, get out, and move on as a girl even stronger and better than before! 1. Take a social media cleanse

For many of us, this is a difficult task. One would argue that social media could help distract you from your thoughts, but, in fact, they can make matters much worse. In this time of fragileness, you might be tempted to check out what your ex is up to. For now, unfollow them, delete the apps on your phone, and give yourself as much time as you can (2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months, etc.) to be upfront with how you’re feeling. Social media can cloud your brain and push away your feelings. Take this time to also get rid of any pictures or cute text screenshots on all your devices. For the best healing process, being in touch with your emotions is essential and it’s even better that you won’t have to deal with unnecessary distractions.

2.DO NOT Contact Your Ex This is an obvious one. Don’t do it.

3.Walk, Work Out, Be Active

Working out is a great stress reliever and the gym is the perfect place to clear your head! Not into a full-fledged workout, turn on some tunes (see number 3) and walk everywhere from class to Newbury Street, to the library, and more! Your mind and your body will thank you! You’ll be taking care of yourself

4.Make an Angry Girl Playlist For your homework sessions and workouts, go through all the music you have that pumps you up, makes you feel the best version of yourself, and feel inspired. The combination of clearing your head, exercising, and listening to the music that makes you feel your best will put you on the right path.

5.Get Rid of Anything in Your Dorm That Has Any Connection to Your Ex

As much as you love the blanket they gave you or the pictures, put any tokens of love in a trash bag. You don’t have to throw away these items, just put them in a spot where you won’t see them every day Live far away? Ship these items to your home base and have your parents put them in the attic. 

6.Treat Yourself Head over to Newbury Street and treat yourself to that cute top you’ve been wanting for a while! Get a mani-pedi at Mini Luxe! Head to Dry Bar to get a blowout! Anything you can do to make yourself feel amazing, do it. It’s worth it as your happiness is important

7.Eat Something Sweet

FYI, Georgetown Cupcakes does deliver! Near a City Convenience or a Star Market? Pick up a bag of Tate’s Bakeshop Chocolate Chip Cookies, they’re addicting. 

8.Call your Mom (or Sister, or BFF) Anytime you feel sad, have the urge to cry or a cute memory hits you over the head like a ton of bricks, call someone who you love. They will be there for you to listen to your woes and it’s super healthy and good to get those tears out!

9.Surround Yourself with New Friends and Explore Boston

Check out the Lawn on D for dancing and fun on their light up swings! Head to the North End and eat some delicious Italian! Look at amazing works of art at the Museum of Fine Arts. Boston has so many incredible things to offer and you were meant to be here for a reason.

10. Turn Your Anger and Sadness into Motivation for Hard Work After a breakup, school work can feel even more monotonous. But look at you! You worked super hard and you got to BU! Use your emotions to motivate yourself to work hard because you are smart and strong. Prove your ex wrong because the world is your oyster…or I guess because we’re in Boston, so the world is your lobster.

11.Know That All the Feelings are Normal You might feel fantastic one day, and the next day angry and the next day sad. That is okay! It’s the most normal part of the healing process. With time, all of this will fade, so sit back and let time do its work.  Look how far you’ve come already! You’re doing great.

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.