Forward to the Past: Five Trends I Wish Would Make a Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Most everyone has a fascination for clothes. As consumers we spend hours reading about the hottest trends in magazines like Vogue for women and GQ for men. To push buyers’ buttons even more, brand advertisements showcase the most popular outerwear to date and the models are swathed in at least five flamboyant articles of designer clothing. Whatever happened to loving overalls and Converse sneakers? On occasion, designers will recreate a similar 60’s dress pattern or models will wear an oversized jean jacket in hopes of appealing to those longing for yesteryear. The moment we come across a page that displays a model wearing a past trend, we feel the tendency to reminisce about the good old days. Even though today’s fashion is big and fabulous, some secretly wish a few of the outgrown trends could make a successful comeback. The following are some trends I would like to see again. I think they will create some nostalgic moments for readers and perhaps a walk down Memory Lane.

Denim Overalls

Overalls were the best thing when I was a kid because they were easy to slip on and were great to wear for a play date, or for running around the house. When I was growing up, denim overalls were the only type of overalls I knew, but over the years designers such as Ralph Lauren and Jean Paul Gaultier took the overall concept and altered the fabric and length to make it trendier. Even though the shortalls had become popular by 2010, the classic railroad style overalls should definitely attempt a comeback. The clips might be an annoyance, but the “overall” outfit will look steaming.

Friendship Bracelets

These bracelets were the coolest things to make when I attended summer camp. I could always count on one of my bunkmates to bring string from home. Friendship bracelets were cool teen accessories at the time and the process of making them was addictive. Over time, a heart-shaped pendant separated into two parts serving as best friend necklaces and more recently permanent ink have replaced friendship bracelets. Even for those who have moved on, I believe that the bracelet-making skills have not been forgotten and it is possible that anyone could begin crafting them with a blink of an eye. Friendship bracelets may seem dorky, but they last for a lifetime and represent good memories. Who knows, mixing friendship bracelets with nightclub bands could become trendy.

Floatie Flip-flops

During my childhood, I thought these flip-flops were the squishiest flip-flops ever! The fact that these flip-flops came in wild colors made me like them even more and I had to have them all. The “fat” flip-flops provided wearers with the most foot support and the thicker the sole the better. However, some people complained that they got blisters from wearing Floaties; thus, this may be a reason they went out of style. This is totally understandable, but I personally think that these sandals would still be so much fun to wear to the beach or just around campus on a warm spring day. I would like to see this flip-flop float back up to the surface and make a comeback soon. (Available for purchase on Amazon)

Hair Wraps

What I recall about hair wraps is that girls would get them done over summer or spring vacation and come back to school with either one or two in their hair. Hair wraps were like colorful dreadlock extensions for girls. Although, Boy George even had hair wraps back in the day! These 90’s hair accessories have been modernized with feather hair extensions and dyed hair strips. It would seem wacky to have hair wraps now, but what is wackier then putting plumage in your hair? Even if the young generation rejects the comeback, I could definitely see Ke$ha voting pro-hair wraps in the near future. Next up might be Snoop Dogg!

Claire’s Earrings

Claire’s was the place to be shopping as a middle schooler on the weekends. This store has everything including hair accessories, jewelry, gag gifts, makeup, and an ear piercing station. The most popular accessories to me were the funky earrings. I would spend endless hours looking at the different kinds of earrings from lollipop studs to Hello Kitty clip-ons. I remember getting compliments on my Claire’s earrings from girls during the school day and that recognition encouraged me to buy new ones to show off the following week. When students have to wear a school uniform, other accessories are basically the things that help them stand out in the hallways. Now that clothes are the main focus, the earrings have to coordinate with the outfit so funky earrings might not be too cool for school anymore! However, there still are all those choices from which to select and they add that little bit of fun! You are never too old for that!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.