Boston’s Most Buzz-Worthy Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The start of a new semester not only brings the excitement of fresh beginnings but also the dread of  blaring alarm clocks for early morning lectures. Stuck in the doldrums of summer reminiscing – late nights and sleeping in – it is not hard to admit that we are often missing our early morning buzz to keep us awake and rolling throughout the day. For that needed caffeine kick, check out these buzz-worthy coffee shops around Boston:

1.     Trident Booksellers and Cafe

Doubling as a book store and cafe, Trident Cafe is a multifaceted gem of the Boston area. Trident is not only home to an array of scrumptious breakfast options, but also serves decadent coffee drinks including Vienesse expressos, lattes, and their famous “chocolatinos,” composed of espresso and steamed chocolate milk, topped off with whip cream and chocolate drizzle. With its home-grown feel and cozy atmosphere, Trident is the perfect place to nestle in with a good book and delight in the comfort of a great cup of coffee.

Location: 338 Newbury Street

2.     Pavement Coffeehouse

Combining an artsy, laid-back vibe with a welcoming atmosphere, Pavement Coffeehouse is always packed full with patrons. The coffeehouse serves a variety of superb teas and coffees, as well as substantial breakfast and lunch options. With its four locations around Boston (including one right in the middle of Commonwealth Avenue folks!), Pavement is an extremely accessible a

nd savory shop in which to satisfy your coffee fix.

Locations: 44 Gainsborough Street

1096 Boylston Street

286 Newbury Street

736 Commonwealth Avenue

3.     Blue State Coffee

Forget Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts; let’s talk about coffee with a cause. Blue State Coffee was founded on a sense of tradition and ideals, after the Boston Tea Party rendered drinking coffee an act of patriotism. With its commitment to great food and drink and providing inspiration within its communities, Blue State is a vibrant, hip cafe with a plethora of organic, caffeinated options.

Location: 957 Commonwealth Avenue

155 Seaport Blvd

4.     Thinking Cup

Thinking Cup provides a sensory experience like no other coffee shop in town. It is the first and only coffee shop in downtown Boston to serve “Stumptown Coffee,” originating in Oregon and deemed the “Best Coffee in the World” by NPR, The New York Times, Food & Wine Magazine, and USA Today. With numerous awards and its appealing ambiance, Thinking Cup is sure not to disappoint. You can even pair your coffee drink of choice with Thinking Cup’s sumptuous French macaroon selection.

Location: 165 Tremont St

236 Hanover St

85 Newbury St

5.     L.A. Burdick

Most widely known for its delectable chocolates and sumptuous deserts, L.A. Burdick also serves a host of mouth-watering coffee drinks. Masterfully prepared and often infused with their signature cocoa, L.A. Burdick is the perfect option for those who enjoy the lavish side of coffee. It’s no wonder the line of customers often spews out the door on many days. 

Location: 220 Clarendon Street