Best Moments of New York Fashion Week 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Another New York Fashion Week has come and gone, leaving us with nostalgic sentiments only luxurious stilettos and sumptuous fabrics can cure. From the outrageously wacky designs of Thom Browne to the elegant pieces of Delpozo’s fall/winter collection, viewing the season’s upcoming trends once again proved anything but boring. Featuring star-studded audiences and designer debuts, the best moments of NYFW 2015 proved unforgettable.

1. Kanye West’s Adidas collection

The rapper made his New York Fashion Week runway premiere with his new collection for Adidas. West’s funky designs, including an abundance of flesh colored stockings and neutral pullovers, may have not received critical acclaim from the industry’s elite, but still managed to garner a pretty substantial front row.

1. Moncler show

The French-based luxury brand, known for its quality down jackets and sportswear, took a futuristic approach to cold-weather apparel this season. With unconventional helmets, mounds of fur, and puffer dresses constructed from the same materials as ski jackets, the collection was truly “out of this world.” The quirk didn’t stop there; the show featured various couples displayed on pedestals, who, in honor of Valentine’s day, locked lips in a romantic gesture.

1. Stunning hair

This year’s NYFW showcased not only fabulous clothes but exquisite beauty stylings as well. From Vera Wang’s elegant undone knot, to Mara Hoffman’s elaborate plaits, some of the most awe-inspiring and lust-worthy hairstyles were showcased on the runway.

1. Naomi Campbell at Zac Posen

The iconic British bombshell stepped out in a jaw-dropping Zac Posen design during the finale of Posen’s show. Walking hand-in hand with the smiling designer, Campbell impressed in her spectacular, fairytale-like dress.

1. North West crying next to Anna Wintour

Amidst all the glitz and glamour, Kim Kardashian’s baby just couldn’t seem to hold it together. A crying North West sitting next to the illustrious (and often deemed frigid) Vogue editor Anna Wintour was a hilarious juxtaposition. And from the look on Anna’s face, we’re pretty sure this seating arrangement went south.

1. 70s-inspired apparel

Although disco balls and fluffy afros were absent this season, many designers paid homage to the 70s with bell bottoms, turtleneck knits, and a variety of modest patterns.

1. Carmen Dell’Orefice in Elie Tahari’s show

While Elie Tahari’s designs themselves were notable, the most interesting part of Tahari’s show was the presence of legendary model Carmen Dell’Orefice. Against a forest backdrop, the strikingly beautiful 83-year-old, known for being the world’s oldest working model, posed alongside her younger counterparts.

1. Marc by Marc Jacobs show

Showcasing a feminine aesthetic with a rocker edge flair, Marc Jacobs’ new line was all about girl power. Looks emblazoned with the words “Suffragette” and “Solidarity” sent an empowering message to audiences, proving that fashion can make stylistic as well as political/cultural statements.

1. Betsey Johnson’s show

Betsey Johnson’s spring/summer line featured all the elements key to the designer’s signature persona: flamboyance, lots of pink, and heaps of ruffles. Never to be outdone with her antics, Johnson (72) performed a tandem cartwheel-split combination with her granddaughter Layla (7) during the grand finale of her show.

1. Zana Bayne’s show

Zana Bayne’s show had a little bit of everything- from an adorable baby being carried down the runway to a few plus size models strutting the catwalk. The designer’s theme? Celebrating women of all different sizes and from all walks of life. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.