The Best 90s TV Shows To Binge Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Ah, the 1990s. Who could forget the sea of flannel shirts and velvet scrunchies? Besides the stellar fashion choices, however, the 90s is also the decade that brought us shows like Friends, Full House, Seinfeld, and Sex and the City. These shows defined who we were then and still influence us now. After all, who would we even be without our favorite 90s shows?

1.     Friends

Can you even talk about the 90s without talking about Friends? The relatable and hilarious dynamic between our six favorite BFFs has made such a lasting impression that it’s still a favorite amongst teenagers today. Aside from our favorite never-gets-old one-liners (PIVOT!) and possibly the most iconic will they, won’t they couple in TV history (hint: they’re each other’s lobsters), the show also has the kind of guest stars that will have you saying “Oh. My God.”

2.     The Nanny

Fran Fine is no Mary Poppins. For years, we had the pleasure of watching this hilarious New York fashionista try to navigate the do’s and don’ts of watching over three wealthy Manhattan children and their handsome English father. Who could resist laughing along as we watch our favorite nanny bicker with the butler or lusting at every one of her adorable outfits.

3.     Freaks and Geeks

Even though Freaks and Geeks only lasted one season, it has left a long-lasting impression. Aside from launching the careers of James Franco, Seth Rogan, Judd Apatow, and Busy Philipps, the show also perfectly captured all of our angsty high school moments, from figuring out our first relationships to dreading the thought of gym class. Plus, it doesn’t hurt that young James Franco was totally swoon-worthy.

4.     The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

With one of the catchiest theme songs in television, the “Carlton dance”, and Will Smith as the main character, The Fresh Prince still has audiences tuning in to reruns in 2015.

5.     Sabrina the Teenage Witch

When someone as lovable and fun to watch as Melissa Joan Hart plays the lead in a TV show, it’s almost guaranteed to be equal parts hilarious and heart-warming. Even with a talking cat, three witches, and an alternate supernatural realm, Sabrina the Teenage Witch still finds a way to be relatable and heartfelt. Besides, when has a show with a sassy feline sidekick ever disappointed?

6.     Full House

Long before Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen took the fashion world by storm, they were the adorable actresses who played Michelle Tanner, the youngest child in Full House’s lovable and quirky cast of characters. With a plot that includes a young (and leather-clad) John Stamos, heartfelt advice from Bob Saget, and the Olsen twins’ famous one liner, “you got it, dude”, you’ll find yourself falling in love again with this 90s classic.

7.     Seinfeld

With an eccentric cast, dry comedy and perfectly sarcastic one-liners, Seinfeld is one of those rare shows that almost everyone can relate to.

8.     Saved By the Bell

Because watching young Mario Lopez play a jock with a heart of gold, and Zack and Kelly’s #goals level relationship never gets old.

9.     Beverly Hills 90210

Before there was Gossip Girl or The O.C., there was Beverly Hills 90210. The show, as every great teen drama does, follows the lives of an unrealistically attractive group of wealthy teenagers as they try to deal with breakups, makeups, and everything in between. It won’t take long before you’re sucked in.

10.  The Power Puff Girls

Out of all the nostalgia-inducing cartoons of the 90s, The Power Puff Girls has to take the cake. With a show that centers around three female crime-fighters and overall themes of girl-power and feminism, how could it not make our list?

11.  Sex and the City

As one of the most influential shows of the 90s and 2000s, SATC gave women a real voice when it came to expressing our deepest sexual desires. The show followed Carrie Bradshaw, a New York sex columnist, and her three best friends as they try to find themselves while finding true love. You’ll be sucked in by Bradshaw’s never-ending wardrobe, incredible collection of Manolo Blahniks, and her 

on-again-off-again relationship with New York’s only, Mr. Big.

12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Because no list of 90s TV shows would ever be complete without this gem.

Savanna Tavakoli is a 21-year-old journalism student at Boston University. Savanna plans to use journalism as a platform for educating the public about everything from current political issues to which celebrities just tied the knot. Her interests include pop culture, female empowerment, advocating for gender and sexual equality, red lipstick, m&m cookies, and binge-watching Netflix in her free time.
Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis