5 Fashion Essentials We Learned from Gossip Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

The sultry, elusive voice and expertly crafted characters are recognizable as iconic elements of the show Gossip Girl. Through intricate plot twists and complex love triangles, we were all emotionally invested from the beginning. But while our hearts were preoccupied with high hopes for Chuck and Blair’s blooming romance, our eyes were captivated by the decadent designs of each character’s ensemble. From Valentino to Alexander Wang, it is no secret that Gossip Girl was laden with impeccable fashion. Here are some essential style tips we learned from the unforgettable show that truly came to embody what it means to be “well-dressed”:

1.     Statement pieces/Accessories– Think how can I liven up my wardrobe or what is something that will make my outfit stand out? Blair always donned her signature headbands, from fabulous bows to brilliant jewels, to spice up her standard school uniform. Even incorporate quirky hats, multiple jewelery pieces, or a pair of towering heels into your look as our Gossip Girl predecessors did. In honor of Queen B herself, check out Anthropologie’s headbands; there is no doubt you will fall in love with these beautiful pieces.

2.     Patterned Tights– Textured tights instantly add a creative twist to any ensemble. They are perfect when bare legs seem a little too bare for the weather and instantly provide that eye-catching element to your look. They can easily be paired with your favorite dress, skirt, or even shorts. These inexpensive and versatile items are staples of every wardrobe.

3.     Peacoats– How did these characters stay so stylish (yet warm from the bitter Manhattan cold) in the chilly winter and fall months? The answer lies in the chic yet ever timeless peacoat. Rather than opting for an oversized sweater, try a more polished aesthetic with a button down or tie-at-the-waist coat. Experiment with lots of different styles and colors. Or even don a cloak cape as Blair did for a sophisticated twist on this classic look. 

4.     Prep– If there’s one thing we will remember from Gossip Girl, it is that prep never goes out of style. In their days at Constance Billard and St. Jude’s, our favorite Upper Easter Siders rocked the striped tie, plaid scarves, and navy blazers with unparalleled finesse.

5.     Add Color– Finally, don’t be afraid to play with a little color in your ensemble. Try mixing bold tones and patterns instead of opting for all neutrals. After all, there’s no better way to add flair  and elegance to your wardrobe than with a captivating coral or majestic blue.

Summer is a Boston University graduate ('15) that received a BS in Journalism with a concentration in magazine journalism. Her interests include editorial design and lifestyle, fashion, and beauty content, as she aspires to be a fashion magazine writer and editor. She is currently a fashion and beauty writer for Bustle.com and previously served as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Boston University. Summer likes to think of herself as a lipstick enthusiast and smoothie connoisseur, so when she isn't writing for Bustle, you could probably find her sipping on a strawberry-banana smoothie and planning her next purchases at Sephora. Follow Summer on Twitter @SummerArlexis