The 5 Best Plants for Your Dorm That Are NOT Succulents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This is an unpopular opinion, but I really don’t like succulents, or cacti for that matter. I know everyone says these are the easiest plants to take care of, but I couldn’t disagree more. Everyone I know with these plants has ended up killing them, myself included. They’re very easy to overwater and underwater and are all around very picky plants. Below is a list of my personal non-succulent favorites.

5. Dracaena

These plants come in many different colors and sizes, so you have the freedom to fit this plant to your personal style. They grow more in bright light but do just fine in low light. They need to be watered about once a week, but if you go a few weeks it will be ok. You’ll get tons of compliments because this leafy plant looks impressive, yet no one will know how easy it is to take care of!

4. Lucky Bamboo

This plant is ideal for a college student because it’s very cheap, can grow in any container, and doesn’t require a lot of light. I got mine in Chinatown for a couple of dollars. It doesn’t need any soil to grow, so you can just put it in water in any container that suits your taste. It grows more in bright light but can also survive in low light. I add water to mine about once a week, but if you fill it up with a lot of water, you can leave it for two or more weeks.

3. Air Plant

Air plants will never go out of style because they can fit any aesthetic. These plants can sit on or in pretty much any container or surface imaginable. You can find many fun containers online, or you can just put them in a bowl or glue them to a rock. The only thing this plant needs is to be sprayed with water every so often. Don’t worry about light either— it’ll do perfectly well under a light bulb.

2. Tillandsia Cyanea

I actually found this plant at CVS last year. It is a cousin of the air plant, but it grows in soil instead. Some people spray the plant with water every few days, but I water mine once a month. It needs indirect sunlight, and best of all, it is extremely hard to kill.

1. The ZZ Plant

This plant is my top choice by far. This was my first plant freshman year, and it’s still thriving. It needs to be watered once a month and only needs indirect sunlight. This nearly indestructible plant is perfect because it looks impressive and requires almost no work.

PLANT TRAVEL TIPS: If you want to take your plant home for winter or summer break, it’s much easier to travel with than you’d think. Just get a small gift bag, line the bottom with a piece of cardboard and paper towels in case it leaks some water, and you’re good to go! You can even carry your plant on a plane with you. (Yes you can take plants through security.)

From one plant mom to the next, skip the succulents and spruce up your dorm with some of these low-cost, low-maintenance, unique, and beautiful plants!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Emily is a communication student at Boston University. She discovered her go-to accessory, a camera, at age two. In her free time, she explores the city, binge-watches Netflix, searches for cute bookstores, and wanders through any parks and gardens she can find. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.