5 Off-Campus (but Walkable) Coffee Shops to Study At

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

There are plenty of places on campus to study at, but sometimes I want something different. As students, we spend enough time on campus as it is, so I’m always looking for alternative places to study. And if that place has coffee, all the better! There’s lots of work for us students to get done and not always lots of time to travel and explore Philly, so I compiled a list of nearby coffee shops that you can include in your daily routine.

A cappuccino work of art. [ ]: @wswdnyc

A post shared by La Colombe Coffee Roasters (@lacolombecoffee) on

La Colombe Coffee Roasters

La Colombe has an industrial interior and is a great place to work individually due to the small tables. Unfortunately they don’t have wifi, but you can connect to Xfinity or Optimum. Or maybe it’s fortunate that they don’t have wifi–less distractions; it’d be a good place to do some readings. My go-to order is the draft latte.

915 West Lancaster Avenue #160

Bryn Mawr, PA 19010

(215) 398-3091

Hothouse Coffee

Hothouse Coffee is located right next to the Bryn Mawr Film Institute and is a good option if you prefer local coffee shops to chains. Hothouse has free wifi and is good for both individual work and group work, though you might need to arrive early to nab the spot you want! I try to order something different every time and I always look forward to their seasonal drinks, but lately I’ve been loving the blueberry mocha. And I also like their ultimate oatmeal??

824 Lancaster Ave

Bryn Mawr, PA 19010

(610) 527-0690

Flowers want a sip. #IcedCoffee Regram: @ktnewms

A post shared by Starbucks Coffee [ ] (@starbucks) on

Starbucks

We all know what it is. Good ol’ Starbs. I usually prefer less mainstream, more hipster coffee shops, but sometimes those Stars are hard to resist. There’s a location at Bryn Mawr and also a location at Ardmore, so take your pick! My go-to order is the matcha latte and vanilla latte.

766 Lancaster Ave

Bryn Mawr, PA 19010

(610) 526-0650

41 St James Pl

Ardmore, PA 19003

(610) 896-7880

Green Engine Coffee Co.

If you’re closer to Haverford, check out Green Engine Coffee! It’s the coffee shop I frequent most. I’d probably be there every day if it weren’t for my wallet screaming at me to stop. If you’re looking for some place #aesthetic, Green Engine Coffee is the place to go. They have an art installation on one wall (by a Haverford student!) and a plant wall on another wall. They also have a variety of seating options, which makes it good for both individual and group work, though once again, if you’re planning to do group work, you may need to wait for a big table to open up. My go-to order is the latte. Their Spanish hot chocolate is also worth a try!

16 Haverford Station Rd

Haverford, PA 19041

Nothing like a quiet day in a cafe. [ ] [ ] [ ]: @isabelledurbin

A post shared by Saxbys (@saxbys) on

Saxbys

Saxbys is another option if you’re closer to Haverford. It’s perhaps a more reliable place to go to ensure seating. Good for both individual work and group work. My go-to order is the British Islander.

346 Lancaster Ave

Haverford, PA 19041

(484) 416-3781

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.