Best Break-Up Songs of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Breaking up is never something anyone wants to go through, or looks forward to going through.  With Valentine’s day just passing, there are plenty of hearts that are actually aching from the holiday instead of beating rapidly. In fact, according to CBS radio, 53% of women will break up with their boyfriends if they didn’t “wow” them on Valentine’s day…..it’s true ladies. You all know you thought about the consequences of not having a spectacular day. Well, whether you just kicked your lover to the curb or you got dumped (let’s be real, YOU didn’t get dumped, you DID the dumping), I put together a list of some of the best break-up songs to help get you through it….

1. I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
  2. Strong Enough – Cher
  3. You’ll Think Of Me  Keith Urban
  4. You’re So Vain – Carly Simon
  5. Someone Like You – Adele
  6. So What – Pink
  7. It’s Not Right – Whitney Houston
  8. Better In Time – Leona Lewis
  9. Been There, Done That – Luke Bryan
  10. Irreplaceable – Beyoncé Knowles
  11. The Scientist – Coldplay
  12. Fighter – Christina Aguilera 
  13. Survivor – Destiny’s Child
  14. Dreaming With A Broken Heart – John Mayer
  15. One Day You Will – Lady Antebellum
  16. No Man – Nina Storey
  17. Smile – Lily Allen
  18. Since You’ve Been Gone – Kelly Clarkson
  19. Don’t Bother – Shakira
  20. I Saw The Sign – Ace of Base
  21. Better That We Break – Maroon 5
  22. My Happy Ending – Avril Lavigne
  23. What Hurts The Most – Rascal Flatts
  24. Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart – Alicia Keys
  25. Over It – Katharine McPhee

What are your favorite break-up songs? Leave a comment below!

Jessica is a senior at Bryant University where she is majoring in management and double minoring in marketing and communication.  She holds the position as Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Bryant and was actually one of the first founding members!  Beyond Her Campus Bryant, she is the Vice President of the Bryant Marketing Association and a MyPath Mentor.  She loves working at the Amica Center for Career Education where she manages their marketing and social media efforts but also enjoys her time at the Hassenfeld Institute for Public Leadership and the school's bookstore. When at home in Connecticut, she loves to watch movies with her family, play with her dog, have bonfires with friends, sleepovers with her sister, and scrapbook! Jessica aspires to one day manage her own department of a fortune 500 company, or even run her own company with a little bit of writing on the side!  Upon graduating this coming May, she will jump-start her career at EMC as a Marketing Development Associate in the Marketing Development Program.
Makena is a senior at Bryant University, studying International Business, Marketing and Spanish. In addition to co-founding Her Campus at Bryant, Makena is a published author, a peer mentor for Academic Programs International, works as a research assistant on campus, and is over-involved in general (and loving it). When she isn’t running frantically between classes, work and meetings, Makena enjoys travel, good Tex-Mex and getting lost in a great book.