Meet Annie, Dance Director of this year’s Fuze!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

With this year’s show just around the corner, we met Dance Director Annie to learn a little bit more about Fuze, and what ticketholders have to look forward to…

What is Fuze?

Fuze is the largest student-run Dance, Music and Fashion show in the UK, giving students the chance to showcase their incredible talent whilst raising as much money as possible for charity, and putting on a great show for those who come to watch!

Who’s in the show?

The show mainly involves students as it’s student-run, but the auditions are open to anyone. One of the great things about Fuze is its diversity-not only is it a fusion of three different types of art, but it also brings together such a wide range of people who share a passion for what they do, be it music, fashion or dance. There’s such a great range of people in my dance group this year-from post-grads to first years, people doing masters to people who aren’t from the university. It’s such a great way to meet people you’d probably never meet otherwise!

So, what does the role of Dance Director entail?

It’s basically down to me and my other director Maddie to come up with, arrange and organize all the dance that happens in the show, which is a pretty big job seeing as we’re doing a total of six routines this year! We started thinking about the show as far back as August, then held huge auditions early in the year and finally narrowed the troop down to 20 dancers. Then it was time to start choreographing! I’ve done quite a bit of choreographing before so I loved getting another chance to share my skills with others and work together to create something totally different for this year’s show. I danced in Fuze last year, so the opportunity to actually create the thing I had the pleasure of taking part in was one I just couldn’t miss.

For those who haven’t been before, what can they expect from the show?

It’s not often you get a show which brings together these three arts onto one stage-Fuze is so unique in that way. We have some incredibly talented people performing this year, with the standard of music and dance at its highest yet. The fashion show is also set to be a real treat; all the brands we’re showcasing are so unique, and all locally sourced! The scale of the show as a whole is so impressive-when I first took part last year I was completely blown away by it. It doesn’t just give students the opportunity to perform, it also enables others to try their hand at actually producing an event. The fact that students behind the scenes manage to meticulously plan, market and present a huge show alongside all their other commitments is such an incredible feat. Also, the theme this year is Funky Town, so get ready for all things Funk!

One of the most impressive things about Fuze is how much it manages to raise for charity. Where is the money going this year?

That’s right-since its establishment, Fuze has raised over £100,000 for charity.  This year, proceeds are going to Bristol Refugee Rights-we wanted to give everyone involved in the show, be it spectators or performers, the opportunity to reach out to the local community, whilst also doing their bit for an issue that goes way beyond our city. So please, come along! You’re guaranteed a show that truly is like no other. 

Tickets for Fuze are still on sale, so grab yourself one now by following the link below!

https://fixr-app.com/event/12868

If you want to learn more about Fuze, follow the link below to visit their fundraising page. Any donations are greatly appreciated, and will go towards making this year’s show the best yet.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fuze-2017-charity-music-fashion-and-dance-event#/

Her Campus magazine