Gluten Free Chicken Fingers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

After a few weeks of going gluten free, I am finally beginning to feel comfortable trying different recipes. So, for the sake of adventure, I began looking for a recipe for chicken fingers. One reason: because I was curious. The other reason: I was craving them. I came upon a gluten free chicken fingers recipe that is so easy, healthy and yummy! I found the recipe here (http://heatherchristo.com/cooks/2014/02/01/crispy-baked-chicken-fingers-gluten-free/) and now it’s my go-to meal if I had a long day and want something low key for dinner.

All you need is chicken breast, corn tortilla chips (most are gluten free but if it’s a real concern find the bag that is marked gluten free, or GF.  If you are not, then go with your favorite brand), olive oil, salt, pepper and whatever seasoning you like.  The recipe calls for onion powder but garlic powder is also really good! The best way to start if you are working off a college kitchen and don’t have a food processor, which I was and I don’t, is to put your corn chips and seasoning in a plastic bag and use the bottom of a mug, bowl or glass to crumble it. You might want to consider double bagging them to avoid a mess. Hitting the chips a few times should get it to the consistency you want! Once you do that, rub the sliced chicken breast in olive oil and then coat them with the chips. Place it on a baking sheet and then put them in your oven for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. The recipe calls for a rack on the baking sheet but you don’t need one!

After 10 minutes they are done and you have a super easy meal that goes with basically anything. If you are gluten free you can add a side of rice or roasted fingerling potatoes and your favorite veggie. If you tried these because they look good (which they are!) and are not gluten free, feel free to pair these with whatever you would like! They also keep really well, one recipe will usually last me two or three days. You just turn your oven to 350 and reheat them for 10 minutes! This awesome, easy recipe brings me back to my elementary school days and I hope it brings you back too! 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.