David Fisch ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Don’t know who the candidates are for Student Union President in this election? Well check out this week’s campus celebrity, David Fisch! He is a junior running for President for next year who hopes to make changes that will make Brandeis even better than it already is. Maybe you’ve heard him do a radio show on WBRS or have seen him at a BOO event because David loves getting involved on campus and meeting new people. Read on to see more of what he is all about.

Hometown: Scarsdale, NY
Majors: Economics and American Studies,
Minors: Journalism and Film, Television & Interactive Media
Year: 2013

HC: We hear you like to do a lot on campus. What are you involved in?
DF: I’m a major member of the Brandeis Orthodox Organization (BOO), Hillel, and Chabad, however I really don’t identify with any particular segment of Judaism. I also am very involved in the campus radio station, WBRS. I have been News Director, Acting Program Director, and will be Sports Director next year. I have been a part of the Student Union prior to this candidacy. During my first year I was on the Student Union Task Force and worked to make the first-year random roommate questionnaire more in-depth. During my sophomore year I was the Class of 2013 Senator and the Chair of the Club Support Committee.  

HC: What do you like about hosting a radio show?
DF: Hosting a radio show is a very fun experience.  I mostly do Sports shows, though I have done a news show and a music show.  It’s fun because I love sports so to just talk about it with friends is something I would do anyway but to have people listening to our conversation makes it even more interesting. It’s also cool that anyone anywhere in the world can listen in (because WBRS is broadcast online).

HC: Why are you running for president?
DF: I am running for Brandeis Student Union President because I can bring great ideas and great passion to the table. I know Brandeis from many different angles, ranging from the religious groups to the media groups, so I will be able to advocate for many different students. I have always seen the job of President as an advocate for all students, not just the students they are friends with, and I will pursue getting the opinions of all students on campus.

HC: What are your platforms for your campaign/what do you want to change on campus?

DF: Well my main points include changes in dining for students, housing, school unity and transfers. (To see David’s whole platform, you can check them out at votefisch.com.)

HC: Are you interested in pursuing a career in politics?
DF: When I started at Brandeis I wanted to have a career in politics and was even a politics major, however I quickly realized I did not like being a politics major. I really would like to go into advertising/marketing and film.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
DF: In 10 years I would love to be working as an advertiser in New York City.  I’m currently working on an application for College Humor and if I get that for this summer it will really set me on the right path with my career goals.

HC: What do you like to do for fun on campus?
DF: I love to go to campus events. Many of the organizations I am in work on planning them so most of the time I am doing something to organize them so it’s always amazing to see something you’ve worked on come to fruition. I also love sports so I enjoy going to basketball games.