Danielle Frankel ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Danielle Shirel Frankel

Year: 2017

Hometown: Cleveland, Ohio (GO CAVS!!!)

Majors/minors: International Global Studies; Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies; Theater Arts

Her Campus Brandeis: What are you involved in on campus?

Danielle Frankel: Well, I’ve done a lot for the Department of Orientation. I’ve been an OL, an OL captain, and on Core twice.

I’m a member of False Advertising, Brandeis’ oldest improv troupe – we do musical and longform improv. I do the occasional theater performance.

I’m an ambassador at admissions.   

I work at the Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism.

And I’ve recently become a Brandeis Beacon.

HC: What was it like being on the midyear orientation core committee?

DF: It was probably the best orientation experience I’ve had. Working with Michael Arguello and Sydney Sahasarabudhe has been a dream! I’ve been on Core for fall orientation, but working on midyear orientation is very different. As a Core committee member in the fall, there always seems to be a barrier between Core and the OLs, and an even larger divide with the incoming students. However, midyear orientation is much more intimate and I really feel like I developed a close bond with the OLs and the midyear students.

HC: What was your favorite event you planned for this midyear orientation? What is your favorite memory from this orientation?

DF: I was mostly in charge of the training for the OLs, but I also got a chance to plan the annual Midyear Talent Show, which was a blast! I decided to spice up the talent show by adding a lip-sync battle, and watching my friends perform to Dancing Queen was hilarious.

It’s hard to choose one memory, but I think the best moments were when everyone left for the night and it was just Core (and Scott) debriefing the day and getting everything ready for the next day. I never laughed so hard in my life, and the sleep deprivation only heightened our silliness.

HC: What advice would you give to the midyears?

DF: I think Sydney said it best when she said (and I’m paraphrasing), college is your own path and it’s not a linear one. Don’t think about when you’re going to graduate, how you’ll graduate etc… just live in the present and have as much fun as you can (but be safe!). College is going to be over before you know it!

HC: Is there anything still on your bucket list before graduation?

DF: Find the underground tunnel that goes from Library to Slosberg. Obviously. 

Quick Facts

Favorite food: My mom’s Persian cooking, Soul Food — if you really want to know you should check out my finsta @friday_night_foodies (shameless plug)

Favorite song: Hey Jude

Favorite spot on campus: The Castle (RIP)

Favorite TV show: Friends, Parks and Rec, The Carol Burnett Show

Best Brandeis memory: Being a part of orientation because that’s where I’ve met by best friends. Also once I had a picnic on the roof of Usdan at 3am.