15 Things All Education Majors Know to be True

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Brandeis is a place with what seems like endless course offerings and fields of study. From sciences, to arts, to humanities—there are options for all. I know Biology majors, Psychology students, and those studying Business (to only name a few). And where does my chosen course of study take place? Well, if you keep going past Mandel and Heller, you will find ASAC, the home of the education department. Whether you study education yourself, are interested in the subject, or seek to better understand the experiences of your education major friends, these are 15 things I can almost guarantee all future educators either know or have experienced.

1. You will have literally the same people in every single one of your classes.

2. And you will form a squad.

3. People telling you teachers don’t make a lot of money is probably one of the most annoying things ever.

4. You get to visit different classrooms and work with kids as a part of some of your classes.

5. But coordinating schdueles and planning carpools to those visits can be stressful. 

6. You see teachers or professors with good ideas and you mentally add them to the “List of things I will do/have when I’m a teacher”

7. You know what Common Core is. And what an IEP is. And an ELL. Basically, there are a million acronyms.

8. Lesson planning is a common assignment.

9. You’ve spent time in the children’s section of the library.

10. You’re prepping for the MTELs (or some other form of licensure test).

11. You’ve envisioned the design of your future classroom many times, and sometimes you see items that you wish you could buy for it.

12. You look at teacher stuff on Pinterest.

13. You think you have your “ideal grades” to teach already picked out in your head. But that’s subject to change.

14. You have artwork and other sweet things kids have made for you saved somewhere.

15. You think being an educator is one of the most important and life-changing jobs there is, and you are so excited to positively affect the lives of your students.