This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Hot girls. We know them. We see them at parties and on campus. Some of them are even reading this right now. They seem to have it all. The friends, the cool lunch spots to hang out at. Nothing seems to faze them. Their life is seemingly perfect.

They seem to look flawless everywhere that they go. Their outfits are comprised of more than sweatpants and t-shirts. Their hair always seems to shine. Their makeup is flawless. Unlike so many people in this world, they can perfect the cat eye…on the first try.

I have been personally experiencing a time in my life where I was not feeling confident. School is stressing me out to no end. I was constantly tired and did not care a whole lot about my appearance. Then one day I had enough…I was going to change my perspective on life. I was going to be a hot girl.

What are these girl’s secrets? How do they seem to take ownership of every room they are in? How does someone, especially in today’s day of constant social media, have that much confidence?

To answer the never ending questions I went on the internet (Google, actually) to see what the latest It Girls do daily to run the world. I YouTubed the latest hair and makeup trends, went on fashion designer’s websites such as Michael Kors and Diane Von Furstenberg to collect outfit inspiration, and even though these outfits were ridiculously out of my price range, I saved some to give me inspiration on my next trip to the town mall.  

The next weekend I was set on a quest. New makeup and clothes were going to change me for the better. I was determined. Sephora, Forever 21, and H&M were hit hard by my quest. I ransacked every clothing rack, looking for my new look. I went home victorious with shopping bags in hand.

After waking up the next morning and then looking at the shopping bags with a twinge of guilt, I didn’t feel satisfied at all. I thought that these new pieces would help me change. It would make me hot and give me the confidence that I desperately needed at this time. Then it hit me: these hot girls who I had pictured in my mind were more than their appearances. I needed to look at them for more than that because A) they deserved to be looked at as an actual human and B) the secret is not always in the appearances. Everyone knows that there is more to people than what meets the eye.

It made sense. In order to be the hot girl that I knew was hiding, I had to make changes. Changes that may have seemed scary at first, but ultimately are making me a better person.

Change # 1: Work out.

It sucks. Sweating and feeling like you are dying are literally the last things you want to be feeling. However, working out allows you to set goals. It makes you feel so good after you are done. You feel lighter and happy. Those endorphins that people constantly talk about are REAL. Walking back from the gym can make the rest of the day better. You feel as if you accomplished something great! This in turn can set the mood for the rest of your day.

Change #2: Eat and drink healthy.

This task seems so daunting to women in college. From late night munchies to parties on the weekend, it seems like you can never get away from the bad stuff. Instead, you can surround yourself with healthy food. Pick up fresh fruit and vegetables from the grocery store instead of cookies. (Insiders tip: frozen grapes are delicious and help to kick that sweet tooth). You’ve heard it before: cut the soda out. Limit your alcohol intake. It does make a difference for your body and your wallet.

Change #3: Confidence

Walk with your head held high and know that you are worthy. Confidence comes from within. Once you show your confidence, your whole world outlook has changed. You believe that you can conquer that eight page English paper or finally asking that cute boy out.. Perhaps this is the number one thing that you need to keep in mind. You can do it! You can kick your troubles in the butt!

We all have confidence issues, this perhaps is one of the great realizations girls need to realize. But, girl, you’re beautiful and will do great things. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Audrey Hepburn said it best:

“Happy girls are the prettiest girls.”

Being hot is more than being about looks. It is being confident about who you are and what you have to say in the world. Being hot may seem daunting to some. It may seem easier to others. Just know this: we all are hot and we need to raise each other’s confidence up in order to encourage women and make this a better world for all of us.

Sydney Nassar

Boise State

Sydney is a social work major at Boise State. On campus she enjoys attending sporting events and hanging out with her friends avoiding impending deadlines. You can often find her day dreaming of the beach and European cobblestone streets.