HC Frugal Foodie: Sweet & Spicy Beef Ramen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Boise State chapter.

Nothing quite says “broke college kid’ like ramen noodles.

When the budget is a little tight, it becomes only natural to try to get by on less than a dollar a day in meal costs…which make ramen one of your only options.

That being said, it’s easy to get bored of eating the same thing day after day while waiting on that next paycheck. Fortunately for all of us, there are TONS of ways to upgrade from your run of the mill ramen soup…WITHOUT breaking that budget!

This is one of my absolute favorites: my sweet and spicy beef ramen. This recipe is made for at least two meals; perfect for sharing or for having leftovers for lunch the next day!

Ingredients:

3 packages beef ramen

½ cup warm water

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Splashes of hot sauce (to your taste)

1 tablespoon honey

2 teaspoon soy sauce

½ tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted

Optional

1 tablespoon green onion

Prepare noodles as usual, and drain.

While noodles are cooking, combine all three packets of seasoning and the warm water in a small bowl. Add garlic, hot sauce, honey and soy sauce.

Pour sauce over drained noodles and mix until evenly coated.

Sprinkle with toasted seeds (and green onion) and serve!

Dakota Brown

Boise State

Dakota Brown is our Managing Editor here at Her Campus Boise State! She loves all things literature; an avid reader who also writes whenever possible, she aspires to having a future in publications editing. In her free time (aside from reading and writing), Dakota can be found drinking copious amounts of coffee, baking, and spending quality time with her dog, Kili, and her hedgehog, Lily.