Love Lessons from the New Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Zooey Deschanel or “Jess” as we have come to know and love her on FOX’s newest hit New Girl  is so perfect even with all of her imperfections. She’s super cute, silly, sweet, awkward, and unique. Every girl wants to be her and mostly every guy wants to date her. In all of her quirky glory, she’s taught us a whole lot about guys, relationships, and love.  

Comfort doesn’t mean love: Poor Jess. She was completely unaware that her boyfriend of six years was cheating on her. Somewhere in her heart she had to have known that her relationship was heading south since she went as far as to show up to their apartment wearing nothing but a trench coat, which she followed with a naked “sexy” dance. She attempted this only to find that her boyfriend was already doing a sexy dance with someone else. It’s a clear case of being too comfortable and therefore, complacent. It seems that Jess and stupid Spencer just weren’t meant to be. But it’s totally understandable as to why she felt like there was no one else for her. Spencer was it. He wasn’t, though. Many girls fall into thinking that just because they’ve been with someone for so long, they’ll never be able to be with anyone else even when they do want out. Ladies, there are plenty of fish in the sea so go after them if you’re not happy with your current fish. And don’t be afraid to be alone, it won’t last forever.

*Photo courtesy of Google Images

Sometimes our guy friends really are just friends: It’s easy to want to turn one of your best guy friends into your boyfriend. They know everything about you and you know everything about them, the good and the bad, so it seems like taking it to the next level is the only option, right? No! Don’t do it. Things can get ugly really fast. Conversations and spending time together will start to feel forced and it can get awkward. Don’t confuse love for being in love. They are two totally different things. But…

Sometimes our guy friends are more than just friends: But you just said..?! I know. It’s confusing. In the case of Nick and Jess, there is definitely more than meets the eye. They’re totally in love. Jess cares way too much about what Nick thinks about every aspect of her life and vise versa. Plus, they’ve got that whole pointing their feet at each other thing going on. Body language tells all. So maybe there really is a budding romance between you and your best guy. Does he get jealous of other guys? Does he go out of his way to do things for you that no other guy would? Does he tell you that he misses you? And, of course, does he make you act like a giddy schoolgirl? If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, then next time you’re with your guy, lean in for a kiss and see what happens!

Don’t make yourself be something your not: Especially in the bedroom. Picture Jess as some sort of dominatrix that’s really into S&M. Weird, right? Yeah, like really uncomfortable. Every girl is their own unique sex goddess. Being good in bed doesn’t mean you have to act like a porn star. If anything you’re doing feels forced or fake then stop doing it. Be yourself. If you truly like/love the guy you’re with, then sex will come easy to you. It will be completely natural and hopefully feel totally awesome for both parties. 

Raven Rivera is a senior at Binghamton University majoring in English and Rhetoric with a minor in Theatre. After living on Long Island all her life, she made the move to upstate NY and is enjoying the snowy weather. At Binghamton, Raven is the president and editor-in-chief of the newly SA-chartered publication, Her Campus Binghamton. In her spare time she enjoys watching entirely too much television, romantic comedies and Disney movies, and preparing for her American Idol auditions one day. She is currently an editorial intern for iaam.com and in the future, hopes to move to NYC and be a head writer/executive producer of an awesome television show on ABC, NBC, FOX, or Bravo (really, any will do).