Things Every Incoming Freshman Should Know About Orientation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Before incoming college freshman leave their homes and begin their college journey, Bentley University has a three-day summer orientation program to prepare newcomers for their time at Bentley. During orientation, students are able to explore campus, meet their fellow classmates, attend important information sessions, pick their schedule for the upcoming semester, and spend two nights sleeping in the freshmen dorm rooms. Orientation is a great way to start your Bentley experience off on the right foot.

Here are a few tips about how to make the most out of your Freshman Orientation:

1. Keep an open mind

During orientation, your orientation leaders will encourage their groups to play different ice-breaker games that force the new students to come out of their shell. Although some of these games may seem cheesy, it is important that you keep an open mind and go along with all the activities. Students are encouraged to take their “cool hats off”, and embrace the cheese that comes along with the ice-breaker games. No one knows each other and these games help remove the tension, allow your group to laugh together, and help you get to know one another.

[pagebreak]

2. Be Involved

It is important that you are actively involved in all the activities planned for the orientation period. You should be attentive at every information session you go to because the speakers put a lot of effort into running the sessions and making sure that you have all the information you need. Even if the session may seem boring, the instructor is giving the new students vital information that they will need once they join the Bentley community. It is also important to be involved in your orientation group by interacting with your orientation leader and going along with the activities they planned for you. Everything is for your benefit, so make sure you make the most use out of it.

[pagebreak]

3.  Don’t be afraid to ask questions!

College is a completely new experience to incoming freshman and I am sure everyone has questions about different aspects of the university. Do not be afraid to ask any question! Your orientation leaders and the other staff members are there for your benefit and want to make sure you are completely prepared when you come back in the fall. If you have absolutely anything on your mind that you are confused about or have just been wondering about, make sure you get your question answered.

Freshman orientation is a great experience and the start to an amazing four years that you can look forward to having here at Bentley. Make sure you make the most out of every activity, and who knows, you might even be able to find the perfect future roommate! 

Kathryn Burgner is a member of the class of 2013 at Bentley University and is majoring in Information Design & Corporate Communications, with minors in Marketing and Gender Studies. Kathryn is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and be the founder of Her Campus Bentley! Kathryn loves going to school near Boston, but she also loves her hometown of Dalton, MA, where she grew up in the Berkshires on a turkey farm. Kathryn loves singing, acting, dancing ballet, baking, & playing volleyball, and is interested in gender issues, fashion, and health & fitness. She is a founding member of the Masters of Bentley Acappella (MBAs) and enjoys being involved with the Women's Center at Bentley, Alpha Psi Omega Honorary Theatre Society, and Resident Assistance at Bentley. Kathryn aspires to work as an editor, social media professional, or marketing design professional in Boston, MA after her experiences at Bentley! Kathryn would like to thank her family and friends for their love and support towards all of her experiences and dreams.