Super Bowl LI’s Seven Best Commercials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

From the unprecedented overtime comeback, to Lady Gaga’s unparalleled patriotism and theatricality, Super Bowl LI was irrefutably one for the ages. Though this year’s big game may have lacked some of the traditionally great advertisers (Doritos, we’re looking at you), the commercials we did have certainly did not disappoint. Marketing majors, this one’s for you: Sunday night’s seven best commercials.

Avocados from Mexico – #AvoSecrets

The sheer ridiculousness of the Avocados from Mexico commercial left us all with resonating laughs, making this commercial so memorable. The leader of this secret society abruptly turns off the stereo’s ominous undertones, to confront the group’s leaked secrets. They wittily confirmed of our suspicions that—yes—there are only 49 shades of gray, accompanied by banter surrounding Big Foot’s existence, and a subtle mention of the infamous Deflate-Gate. As one member streamed the (not-so-secret) secret society’s discussion of their healthy avocados, comedian Jon Lovitz bid us a “subliminal advertisement” urging us to eat them.

Honda CR-V – Yearbooks

Honda used humor, inspiration, and star-power to make a particularly impactful commercial highlighting the importance of pursuing our goals. Featuring embarrassing, animated yearbook photos of Tina Fey, Robert Redford, Amy Adams, Magic Johnson, Steve Carell, Missy Elliott, Stan Lee, Jimmy Kimmel, and Viola Davis, the celebs encouraged us to follow our passions, take risks, and chase our dreams in a touching display of community and empowerment.

Bai – Bai Bai Bai

What do you get when you combine the legendary Christopher Walken, the dashing Justin Timberlake, and a brilliant word play? The Bai commercial—which featured Walken dramatically reciting our favorite childhood anthem, as our man-crush-everyday JT ironically sat next to him in silent affirmation. If that wasn’t enough, the use of Bai’s name to the track of *NSYNC’s “Bye Bye Bye” definitely sealed the deal in rendering this one of Sunday’s best commercials.   

NFL – Super Bowl Baby Legends

In what was easily the most adorable commercial of the evening, the NFL’s ad featured baby versions of legends Mike Ditka, Vince Lombardi, Bill Belichick, Marshawn Lynch, and more. The combination of costumes, wigs, and even fake moustaches upon these cuties not only captured the essence of each football icon, but perhaps even more so, made our hearts swoon. Chicago’s You’re the Inspiration played in the background, and ultimately the commercial begged the lingering question: who will our next American legends be?

Google Home

Google’s commercial to pioneer Google Home left us feeling sentimental and sincere, albeit a bit homesick. The whistling instrumental of John Denver’s Take Me Home, Country Roads evoked warmth and nostalgia—and the clips featuring varied homecomings from people of all different creeds and colors had an artistic authenticity that made this commercial so great.

Budweiser – Born the Hard Way

The sophisticated cinematography and gripping storyline of Budweiser’s commercial let this one resonate with the audience at a much more emotional level. The ad illustrated the many trials and tribulations that this German immigrant went through in coming to the US—concluding with a touching scene of a stranger ordering a beer for “[his] friend.” Highlighting the oppression that all outsiders face, the importance of perseverance, and the triumph of the American Dream, this production noted the power of friendship in uniting seemingly different people as one.

Hyundai – A Better Super Bowl

Hyundai went the extra mile in commemorating the bravery and sacrifices of our men and women in the military.  Paying homage to the troops who protect our freedoms and everyday lifestyles, Hyundai helped to bring together military families during the Super Bowl—one of the most American events of the year. We start out by hearing voiceovers of the troops discussing the emotional hardships of deployment—most notably, leaving behind their loved ones. When they were individually brought into a panoramic, 360-degree room with a live stream of the game from a stadium suite, they received a rather unexpected surprise: their families were also in the suites to surprise them. Noting that being able to watch the big game with your loved ones is what makes it so special, Hyundai strove to make the Super Bowl even better for our deployed heroes—and turned our attention to the many privileges that we may take for granted in our incredible nation.

Native New Yorker Brooke Camarda has had her eclectic share of jobs—from the runways of NYFW to the haunted hallways of NYZ Apocalypse. Commonly known by her alter ego of Wonder Woman, there's no task or adventure that the skydiving-enthusiast isn't willing to take on. She loves typography and cappuccinos almost as much as she loves her (very) big family, and is thrilled to be writing for Bentley University's chapter of Her Campus.
Hi, my name is Molly! I'm currently the Co-President and a Campus Correspondent for Bentley University's HC chapter.