The New Bentley Brand: What do you think?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Last month, President Gloria Larson sent an email informing the Bentley community of their University’s new brand.

President Larson encouraged the student body to accept this new branding by stating “I want you to understand the new branding because it really is about you. It’s you because it reflects what you live every day…I want you to be comfortable with – and proud – of it.”

Bentley has been working on this new branding for the past year conducting extensive research and reaching out to numerous marketing professionals. The Bentley Brand pamphlet (found here) explains that they are not changing the name; they are “developing a stronger long-term brand positioning strategy with more focused messages” (such as that Bentley students are smart, nimble, compassionate, and prepared.)

Shortly after Gloria’s email was sent, many of the students took to Facebook and twitter to express their opinions. One common opinion was the perceived similarity by students between the new shield included in the new Bentley logo, and that of the popular Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from the Harry Potter series. Bentley student Sarah Lacaillade made an in depth anaylsis, as shown below

Here are a few responses from the Bentley community that can be found on Facebook:

• “don’t recall any other respectable school resorting to marketing gimmicks like “reinventing their brand.” The quality of graduates should be the only measure of a school’s brand, not unprofessional and embarrassing lightning bolts on the school’s logo. It would only be worse if they put flames on the falcon too”
  • “I like it! Very professional”
  • “This isn’t bad but the new falcon is subpar”
  • “don’t love it. New branding is very expensive as well. Why reinvent the wheel?”
  • “What was wrong with the old image used for Bentley? Nothing at all. Why’d you change something that was working? Keep it simple!”
  • “I believe there is too much going on in the logo, it’s a bit messy. The word “prepared” does not sound meaningful enough to be used as a university motto”

Bentley also took the opportunity to respond to comments and concerns during a twitter Q&A session.

Although there are various reactions to this new branding, only time will tell what the future will be with the new #BentleyBrand.

What are your thoughts on the new Bentley brand? Share with us below in the comments.

(Please note: the quotes and comments shown in the article are those of individual Bentley students and are not affiliations or representations of Her Campus Bentley.)

Bentley University class of 2014