9 Words I Didn’t Know Before I Came to Massachusetts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Dunks

Someone send a PSA to the citizens of Mass for thinking that Dunkin Donuts is “Dunks”—is it really that hard to say the whole thing?

Wicked

As an outsider, it seems that the people of Mass interchange the word ‘very’ for ‘wicked’ and use it as a filler word to magnify the way they feel about something i.e. I had a wicked good sandwich for lunch today

The Monster (The Monstah)

Also known as the Green Monster, outsiders of the area may not be all too familiar with the 37 foot left field wall at Fenway Park—home to the Boston Red Sox. If you already knew that, then chances are you might be confused at the lack of the –er sound at the end of the word—it’s the Boston accent!

Frappe

Basically the Massachusetts version of what everyone else knows as a “milkshake”

The Charles

Nickname for The Charles River that borders the city—perfect place to find yourself some cute Harvard boys who are on the row team!!!

Bubbler (Bubblah)

Next time your friend who’s a local says they’re going to the ‘bubbler’ or if they have an accent, the ‘bubblah’, and you’re sitting there utterly confused, it’s a water fountain—no worries!

The Garden

If you’re already a fan of the Celtics or you’re a Bruins die-hard, then maybe you’re already familiar with this term. To outsiders, however, we want to know what this infamous garden is and what distinguishes it from every other garden out there—lo and behold it’s a nickname for the TD Garden—or one of the most known event centers in the city

The Pike

After going through all these, I’m getting the hint that most people from Mass like to shorten just about every word they have—which explains why the Massachusetts Turnpike commonly gets dubbed ‘the Pike’ around here.

The T

Don’t be caught dead saying you’re going on ‘the subway’ in Mass.

Picture Credits: 1.2.3.4.5