When You Don’t Need to Wear Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I love a good made-up look as much as the girl strutting her stuff to class on a Monday morning. An intense smoky eye, a slick, winged-out liner, and a bright red lip can certainly do wonders and turn heads. But sometimes, let’s face it, you don’t always need makeup. In the last few weeks on campus, I’ve noticed girls with full faces of makeup at the most unsuitable times. Here’s my take on when not to wear makeup:

The Gym

I get it, I really do, that the idea of going bare faced for a 90 minute workout, with sweat included, does not sound like an ideal thing for most girls. We want to look good, even when working out, but a full face of makeup to the gym is not a smart plan. Simply put, wearing makeup to the gym is a poor choice for skin quality. As facialist Debbie Thomas recently told Vogue, “Your skin needs to breathe – during a good workout even more so. Mix in sweat, heat and open pores and over time the skin will become blocked. Not everyone will get spots, but most will get blackheads coupled with dulling and possible uneven skin texture.” If you’re coming from class, just wipe your face down before working out with a makeup remover pad. You and your clean skin will thank me later!

The Dining Hall

It’s Sunday morning; students are rolling—yes, literally rolling—out of bed to the dining hall for a good Sunday breakfast. Most people are wearing sweatpants, t-shirts, and simply very comfortable and casual clothes. It is the weekend, for goodness sake. So why on Earth is there always that one girl with a full face of makeup on, but who is wearing sweatpants, at 10 in the morning on a weekend? Not only does it often look rather ridiculous, but also it’s bad for your skin. One should give her skin some time to breathe and recover especially after all that makeup worn the previous night. It’s not worth it to waste makeup to go only to the dining hall: save it for a better and more important time!

To Bed

This is a given. Never, ever, EVER sleep with makeup on. We have heard it our whole lives and yet sometimes we just don’t follow it. As someone who woke up one awful Saturday morning to a puffy eye, I know all too well how real the side effects of sleeping with makeup truly are. Trust me, I get it: you get home late, and the last—the last—thing you want to do is wash your face. But makeup can clog the pore while you sleep, resulting in the development of acne. Additionally, according to dermatologist Dr. Gilbert, “During the day you accumulate a lot of oxidative stress. When you sleep in your makeup you are not giving your skin a chance to recover from those insults, which can lead to premature aging.” Is it really worth passing out with makeup on and risking the chance of wrinkles? I highly doubt it! If you’re really struggling with this bad habit, leave a set of makeup remover pads right on your bed before you go out. That way, not only will you remember, but also you will feel obligated to actually use them before falling asleep!

So think twice about putting on layers of makeup before visiting any of these places! Your skin, down to your very last pore, will thank you, I promise. There’s a right time to wear makeup, and certainly wrong ones. Have any other places you think a girl should avoid with a full-face of makeup, collegiettes? I’d love to hear more, comment below!

Sources:

http://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/2013/04/17/why-wearing-make-up-to-work-out-exercise-is-bad-for-skin

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/18/sleep-in-makeup_n_2289084.html

http://www.pickywallpapers.com…

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."