St. Patrick’s Day Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is by far one of the best holidays of the year, and especially here at BC.  With all of the drinking that will surely be done, it is important to also have delicious and cute St. Patrick’s Day treats on hand.  These recipes are sure to be popular and are easy enough to make in a rush.  Enjoy!

Chocolate Mint Brownies

Ingredients

Brownie

1 box Supreme brownie mix (with chocolate syrup pouch)

Water, vegetable oil, and eggs required as required by brownie mix box

Filling

3 ½ cups powdered sugar

¼ cup butter or margarine, softened

¼ cup whipping cream

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened

¼ teaspoon mint extract

4 drops green food color

Topping

½ cup whipping cream

1 bag (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)

½ cup butter

Step 1

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease the bottom of 9-inch square pan.  Make and bake brownie mix as directed on box, and allow it to cool completely.

Step 2

In a large bowl, beat filling ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.  Spread over cooled brownies.  Refrigerate about 1 hour until set.

Step 3

Meanwhile, in a 2-quart nonstick saucepan, heat the topping ingredients over medium-low heat stirring constantly until melted and smooth.  Allow it to cool for about 10 minutes or until lukewarm.

Step 4

Pour the topping over the filling.  Spread the topping until it completely covers the filling.  Refrigerate uncovered for about 2 hours or until it sets.  Before cutting into the bars, let it stand 10 minutes at room temperature.

Lucky Irish Kisses

Ingredients                 

Square pretzels

White chocolate chips or Hershey’s Kisses

Green M&M’s

Step 1

Preheat oven to 200.

Step 2

Layer each pretzel with either one Hershey’s Kiss or four white chocolate chips, and place into the oven.

Step 3

Remove from oven after five minutes, and add an M&M.

St. Patrick’s Day Cakepops

Ingredients

1 package yellow cake mix

2 teaspoons green food color

1 container of cream cheese icing

1 bag white confectionary coating wafers

(candy melts) OR white almond bark

Lollipop sticks

Green sprinkles

Step 1

Prepare cake mix as directed on package adding food color while stirring.  Bake in 13×9-inch baking pan.  Cool completely on wire rack.

Step 2

Crumble cake into a large bowl.  Add frosting a little at a time until the mix starts to stick together.

Step 3

Shape mix into balls, and put them in the fridge to get more solid.

Step 4

Melt your candy melts or almond bark until melted completely and thin.  You may need to add a little vegetable oil if it is too thick.

Step 5

Dip lollipop sticks into chocolate mixture, put them into the cake pops, and allow it all to set.  After the chocolate is dry, dip the whole cake pop into the chocolate mixture, and allow the excess to drip off.  Add sprinkles immediately and repeat.

Images From:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-mint-brownies/39ae52eb-e13f-407c-aeda-6e234de14751

http://theprepcrew.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/st-patricks-day-recipes/

http://www.lovefromtheoven.com/2011/03/07/green-velvet-cake-pops-more-st-pattys-day-baking-ideas/

Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.