The Perfect DIY Lip Scrub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Last week, when temperatures reached as low as 4°F on campus, the chilly air and brutal winds were especially unkind to our lips.  During lectures, collegiettes were digging through their bags in search of their EOS lip balms and reapplying Chapstick after sipping on their hot cocoas.  Let’s face it: dry and chapped lips are not only unattractive, but also painful and inevitable during New England winters.

Contrary to common belief, lip balm is not the only way to combat damaged lips.  Exfoliation is a critical step in fighting chapped lips because it helps to eliminate the dead skin cells that “hangout” at the surface.  Using a lip scrub, like this one by Lush, twice a week will leave your lips smooth, allowing moisture (in the form of lip balm) to penetrate your lips more efficiently!

Don’t know of the closest Lush store near you?  Don’t want to leave campus just to buy a lip scrub?  Can’t afford to spend $10 on one?  If you answered yes to any of these questions, you’re in luck.  Below is a recipe that explains how you can DIY a lip scrub in your dorm room with simple ingredients!  The timing of this DIY couldn’t be more perfect since winter’s unforgiving weather has us begging for softer lips.

What you’ll need:

• 1 small bowl
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 small container
  • Optional: 1 teaspoon Vaseline
  • Optional: pink food coloring

Directions:

1. Combine the honey and sugar in a small bowl.
  2. Add the olive oil and mix well.
  3. If your lips are extra dry, feel free to add in Vaseline for extra moisture.
  4. If you’re feeling creative, add 2-3 drops of pink food coloring to make your DIY scrub resemble Lush’s lip scrub.
  5. Spoon your completed scrub into a container.

How to use your new lip scrub:

1. Before going bed, take a small amount of the scrub and rub it gently onto your lips.
  2. Rinse with water.
  3. Apply a generous amount of lip balm.
  4. Use your scrub twice a week!

Recipe adapted from:

http://prettygossip.com/2013/01/13/diy-homemade-lip-scrub-for-soft-lips/

Photo sources:

http://beautyrefuge.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/lip-scrub.jpg

http://dailyupdate.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Lush-Bubblegum-Lip-Scrub.jpg

Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."