The Lowdown on LinkedIn for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

There are many buzz words streaming through the job and internship world: resume, cover letter, interviews, recommendations, experience, LinkedIn. LinkedIn is a new one that has been added to the mix recently, but it should not be neglected. Although you create your own profile, it is far from Facebook or any other social media site you have an account on. Instead it is full of many other experienced people in the workforce looking for employees, offering tips and giving you insight into their career. If you are just entering into the LinkedIn world or are hesitant about doing so, here are some tips to creating the ideal LinkedIn profile.

First off, you may be wondering what LinkedIn is and why it would be useful for a college student. With so many people connected on LinkedIn that are in your dream positions or seem too superior in the business world to connect to you may wonder how it can be beneficial to you.  LinkedIn profiles are beneficial for college students because it provides a virtual space for us to advertise our greatest commodity: ourselves!  It also allows students to research potential careers, to find alumni and other professionals for networking possibilities, and to find internships and jobs, of course.

Just like any other profile on the Internet, however, there are many etiquette tips that you should stick to so that your profile is at its highest potential and most intriguing to a future employer.

On LinkedIn you should always aim to be an AllStar (literally); do not feel like you are boasting about yourself too much. LinkedIn provides feedback on profile strength and all-star status allows for the greatest leverage of the tool.

Make sure to upload your resume into your profile. Before uploading your resume, however, it is wise to have had it been critiqued by the Career Center or a trusted professional because it will be exposed to anyone interested in looking at your profile and you want to appear your best.

Use the Headline and the Summary to give others a sense of your personality in addition to your accomplishments and ambitions.

Edit the Privacy & Settings to match your needs, but particularly, turn off broadcasts.

Don’t approach anyone on LinkedIn expecting him or her to get you a job.  Approach connections by asking for an information interview, or by asking them for the best way to apply for a job with their organization. 

[pagebreak]

You may be wondering whom to approach to start building your network.  While it’s usually obvious to everyone to consider your professional relationships, such as colleagues and supervisors, consider the people who are closest to you, relationship-wise, such as your family and friends. Fellow teammates, religious community members, neighbors are also great connections. Beyond the people you know, you can also leverage things you have in common with others, such as an organization you belong to or an alma mater.

Don’t ask strangers or people you may have just met for a brief moment to connect with you on LinkedIn, and avoid accepting invitations from people unknown to you.  Be careful with whom you allow into your professional network and expect others to apply the same scrutiny.  Connect with trusted persons with whom you share something in common.

Ask for recommendations from supervisors, but don’t use the generic pre-fabricated email that LinkedIn provides.  Take the time to write out a thoughtful email to the person.  Recommendations are a great way to bolster your profile because it shows that people you trust have taken the time to write thoughtful endorsements of you and your work. The best people to ask for recommendations are current internship managers or previous supervisors, or a professor with whom you have worked closely.

Don’t be inactive! Use LinkedIn regularly by interacting with connections through updates and article sharing.

LinkedIn is a great source to help find a job or internship, get career advice and connect with professionals that could help you in your future career. With these tips to the perfect LinkedIn profile you are sure to have many awesome connections in no time! For more help in creating a LinkedIn profile, the Boston College Career Center is always a great resource!

Thank you to Kelly Alice Robinson from the Boston College Career Center

Photo Sources:

http://readwrite.com/files/fields/SocialMedia_Linkedin.jpg

http://www.thewilsongrp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/crowdsource.jpeg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUmiTk8GPdrjY_11orFH59Q1Jo_ZR6z7cLvAz4_5e0CqWG4DWy

http://blog.linkedin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/homepage_for_blog.jpg

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum