Are You a Dirty Girl? When to Clean, Wash and Replace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and the flowers are blooming!  As spring slowly emerges in Boston, we suddenly feel more energized and cheerful.  The extra vitamin D, after months of snow and gloom, makes students happy and smiling. 

Though the sight of spring literally brings tears of joy to my eyes, I have one major problem with the changing seasons.  As the glorious sun shines through my windows, I can suddenly see specks of dust floating all around my room.  This unappealing sight is most likely the motivation behind Spring Cleaning, the time-honored tradition of washing, vacuuming, and dusting one’s entire house.

Now for those of you who resist all forms of tidying and organizing, Spring Cleaning may be the one time a year that your possessions get a thorough cleaning.  But I have some potentially disturbing news.  If you dislike cleaning, you might want to sit down for this one:  everything needs to be cleaned more than once a year.  In fact, most of our dorm room items should be cleaned or replaced weekly.  Just because you shower daily does not mean you are a clean person.  You might not even realize just how dirty you are, living and sleeping in your own filth!

If you are new to this “cleaning” concept, here is a guide to how often you should clean, wash, and replace things in your dorm.  Your hygiene, boyfriends, doctors, and friends can thank me later.

How often you should wash your…

Jeans:  every 4-5 wears

Bras:  every 3-4 wears

Pajamas:  every 3-4 wears

Bed sheets:  every 1-2 weeks (We sweat a lot at night and shed dead skin cells… sweet dreams!)

Shower towel:  every 3-4 uses

Hair:  every 2-3 days

Face:  every single day (There is no exception to this rule!)

How often you should replace your…

Razor:  every 2 weeks

Contacts:  every month

Toothbrush:  every 3 months

Mascara:  every 3 months (It breeds bacteria, which can cause eye infections.)

Brita water filter:  every 3 months

How often you should clean your…

Bathroom:  every week

Microwave/refrigerator:  as necessary

Counters/desks:  every week

Window sills:  every week (Dust comes in.)

Makeup brushes:  every week (recommended daily for liquid makeup)

Water bottle:  every week (or else “going green” will soon become “going moldy”)

Floor:  vacuum every week

Backpack:  every semester (It is placed in the most disgusting places, like bathroom floors and airports, so toss it in the washing machine.)

And can you guess which of your possessions is typically dirtier than public toilets?  Let me give you a hint: you sleep with it, put it to your face, and hold it constantly.  Yes, your cell phone is absolutely disgusting.  According to Dr. Oz from The Oprah Show, “30% of viruses can transfer from phones into your body.”  For this reason, it is recommended that you clean your phone EVERY DAY.  You can do this quickly and easily with an antibacterial wipe.

Hopefully this information was not too much of a shock for you.  It can be difficult maintaining a clean dorm when we are busy with midterms and friends.  But if you think you can skimp on any of these, just remember that being healthy includes your hygiene! 

Sources:

http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/laundry/when-to-wash-it-handbook-00000000035143/index.html

http://www.toothbrushexpress.com/html/replacing_your_toothbrush.html

http://www.health-bee.com/general/clean-makeup-brushes-replace-mascara

http://www.collegefashion.net/beauty-and-hair/how-often-should-you-wash-your-hair/
http://www.drozfans.com/dr-ozs-advice/dr-oz-how-often-to-clean-towels-cell-phones-makeup-brush-loofahs/

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.
Kathryn Fox is a senior at Boston College, majoring in International Studies. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, she loves Boston but struggles with the cold weather! Kathryn is involved in teaching ESL classes, interning in BC's museum, and volunteering. She loves to travel and spent her junior year studying abroad in Morocco and South Africa. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys reading Jane Austen novels, baking, and watching trashy TV with her roommates. After graduation, she is returning to Oklahoma to work for Teach for America.