Satisfying Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Article by Rachel Minkovitz ’19

So, midterms are upon us. We’ve got less than one week until October break, and people are feeling as ready as the crunchy leaves covering the quad to just drop onto the ground. Unfortunately, though, we still have midterms to take, and as a sophomore, I’ve spent a fair amount of time debating the best study spots on campus and thought I’d share a few of the suggestions I’ve heard. Enjoy, and happy studying!

(These are in no particular order.)

Ladd Library

Photo Credit

Yes, the library. It may seem a bit obvious, but there’s a reason people tend to think of the library when they think of study space. Depending on the floor you choose, the noise level varies; the first floor is good for group projects, while those of us who need more quiet when they work may want to head upstairs where people go for silence.

Upstairs Commons

Surprisingly nice place to do work, as long as you bring some headphones to block some of the commons convos around you. There are also some electrical outlets scattered here and there in commons if you need to charge a laptop or other device. Plus, you can always grab a bowl of cereal or trail mix for brain food!

Outdoors

Photo Credit

Before the weather gets too chilly, definitely take advantage of the New England scenery! Find a bench or a rock or a nice patch of grass and do work outside. Quick tip: if you do work on the grass, bring a towel. You don’t want your papers—or butt—getting damp from sitting on the ground.

The OIE

The OIE’s a really cozy spot to do work. It’s got big couches, some tables, armchairs, and benches. Generally, the OIE’s fairly quiet, although clubs do host meetings there, so be sure to steer clear from disrupting the meetings.

PGill

Photo Credit

PGill is one of my personal favorite spots to get work done. I love sitting at one of the tables in the atrium, popping in some earbuds, and cranking out a bunch of work. Another bonus about PGill? It has computer labs, so you can print out papers while you’re there. If you want a bit more quiet while you work at night, PGill basement classrooms are the bomb, when not being used for club meetings. You can spread out without worrying that you’re taking up too much space, and the classroom setting might even help you be more productive. They’re also nice places for doing work with a group.

Of course, these aren’t all of the spaces on campus where people study, but they’re some of the ones I’ve found work well for me. As the semester goes on, you’ll find the places and environments where you’re most productive, so don’t be afraid to do some exploring. Best of luck on midterms, happy studying, and I’ll see you after break!