Trudi Patrick: Swimming Super Star and Media Mogul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Trudi Patrick; A.K.A Trudstarr

School: Barnard

Year: 2017

Tell me a little about yourself. What are you involved with on and off campus?

On campus, I am a part of the Athena Scholars Program and I am also a member and team record holder on the Columbia University Women’s Swim Team. I have also written for the Columbia Daily Spectator in the past. Off campus, I have interned at ‘stache media, which is a division of SONY Music Entertainment. I also interned at a documentary filmmaking company called, Diva Communications, which produces religious type documentaries for broadcast news stations like CBS, ABC, and NBC.

Other than your internships, what did you do this summer?

I competed for Jamaica at the Pan American Games, which was held in Toronto this summer. It was there where my relay broke the Jamaican national record in the 400 Medley.

How did you get interested in media and journalism?

Honestly, I was about nine or ten when my mom took me to the Long Island Children’s Museum and there was a broadcast and news production exhibit where I explored and sort of got to experience what it would be like to be a newscaster. I just fell in love with it right then and there. Ever since that day, I have been writing. I’ve written and produced media content for my high school newspaper, as well as written for the Columbia Spectator.

What kind of journalism are you interested in?

I’m mainly interested in broadcast journalism, but more so towards television production.  Being an athlete, however, has also made me interested in sports reporting.

Are there any journalists/reporters who inspire you? 

Yes, Hoda Kotb. She’s an inspiration in front of the camera and behind. She’s faced many hardships as a news anchor but has persevered nonetheless to be where she is today. Her journey to success motivates me and reinforces the mantra, “When the going gets tough, try and try again.”

Now, you’re an excellent swimmer, how exactly did you get started?

I’ve been swimming for as long as I can remember. I had a near-drowning experience when I was about four years old and my parents put me right into swimming lessons after that. I fell in love with the sport and really enjoyed racing. Since then, I’ve been swimming competitively. 

What has swimming taught you? 

Swimming has taught me so many lessons. It’s taught me perseverance, work ethic, and the value of teamwork. I’ve learned to not give up on my goals or on myself when things get tough. Swimming has really played a huge role in shaping who I am as a person today.

How do you handle swimming and school pressures, especially around midterms/finals/ swim season?

Swimming has really been an outlet for me during tough times in college. It’s freeing to be in the water, solely focusing on doing my best at practice. I’m also fortunate to be able to train with people who are not only my teammates but also my best friends. 

What do you hope to achieve by the time you graduate?

By the time I graduate, I would like to have started my NPO that I am currently working on, which teaches underprivileged children how to swim. I would also love to take a class that I would have never anticipated taking before arriving at Barnard/Columbia.

When you’re not the on the pool deck, where can HC find you?

You can most likely find me in the Diana studying or in my room relaxing and winding down. 

Lily Morris

Columbia Barnard