The ‘F’ Word: Emma Watson Urges Men and Women to Rethink What Feminism Means

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Emma Watson has taken on a new role of a lifetime. An ‘out’ feminist. Watson took the stage on Saturday at the UN headquarters in New York City as the UN Women’s Goodwill Ambassador. She discussed the UN’s new initiative HeForShe–a platform to encourage men to join the fight for gender equality. Watson’s powerful speech shows that she is much more than ‘that Harry Potter girl’–she’s a passionate and eloquent spokesperson for this cause that needs to be addressed now. 

Amidst the shocking number of female celebrities who have chosen not to identify as a feminist, Watson’s speech comes as a much-needed clarification. When TIME Magazine asked Shailene Woodley if she identified as a feminist, she replied “No because I love men, and I think the idea of ‘raise women to power, take the men away from the power’ is never going to work out because you need balance…I think that if men went down and women rose to power, that wouldn’t work either. We have to have a fine balance.”

Let’s just say Shailene would have a tough time fitting in at Barnard. Other stars such as Kelly Clarkson, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, and many more influential women have openly rejected the term feminist because it is “too isolating” and “aggressive.” This is just one of the points Watson clarifies in her speech.

“I was appointed six months ago and the more I have spoken about feminism the more I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.

For the record, feminism by definition is: “The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.”

Yes, that definition exists outside of Beyoncé’s **flawless song. Regarding oneself as a feminist should not be considered self-deprecating, embarrassing, or aggressive. Rather, men and women alike—in 2014 may I add—should proudly acknowledge the feminist perspective.

Watson continued on to urge men to become more involved with this issue.

“Men—I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue too. We don’t often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes but I can see that that they are and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence.”

Watson’s speech is more relevant than ever on Columbia’s campus. Both men and women must be advocates for gender equality in order to motivate the policy changes that the student body is calling for. Emma Watson doesn’t need to wield a magical wand to create change. No one does. We simply need action.

Listen to Emma Watson’s full speech here: 

Rachel Bernstein

Columbia Barnard