DIY Guide to Sweater Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

As summer officially makes its exit, fall takes center stage. As we approach the time of year associated with leaves, pumpkins, and Halloween, it can all start to feel a little cliché. What better way to spice up your fall than DIY (do it yourself) projects! Look no further for your guide to the upcoming season, DIY style. The closest craft store for all your crafty needs is Michaels on Columbus Ave. between W. 98th St and W. 100th St. 

Ways to Update Your Sweaters

A trend that continues to show up all over the place is the ombre look. A great way to revolutionize an old sweater is to dye it ombre.  Buy Dylon paint for clothes (intended for hand wash). Put the paint in a bucket with water and salt.  Dip the sweater (folded up and tied) into the bucket and wait a while. Rinse it and out in the washing machine for a cold wash. Finally, throw it on with jeans and boots to rock a great look to class. 

Another way to change up an old sweater is to cut small ridge like holes into the sleeve and buy studs from a craft store and bedazzle the outside of the cuts. These types of sweaters can be very expensive so a DIY project may be just what you need to add this style to your wardrobe. 

Fun Fall-Themed DIY Dorm Décor

Not everyone had time to fully decorate their dorm room yet, due to a hectic first few weeks. Leaves make for a great decor project starter. Buy a blank white poster, then collect some leaves and branches from Riverside Park and glue them on the poster. You’ve got yourself a piece of art for any wall! 

Another fun wall décor idea for those of us who didn’t have time to buy those cute string lights is to buy small Styrofoam balls from any craft store and cover them with Fall-colored yarn. These look great bunched together wreath style or strung up above your bed. 

Best way to DIY…baking!

Here’s a fantastic pumpkin bread recipe. Take over your lounge for an hour or make your suite/apartment smell delicious.

Total time: 50 min

Ingredients

3 cups sugar

1 cup vegetable oil

4 eggs, lightly beaten

16 ounces canned unsweetened pumpkin

3 ½ cups flour

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon allspice

½ teaspoon cloves

2/3 cup water

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9 by 5 loaf pans. Stir together sugar and oil then stir in the eggs and the pumpkin. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Blend the dry ingredients and the water into a wet mixture. Divide batter between the loaf pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, check on them! Let them cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!! 

Emily Shoyer

Columbia Barnard

Grew up in Washington, D.C. born in Geneva, Switzerland. Love art history, my family, friends, alternative rock, fashion, New York City, Europe and fun. Oh and of course Barnard :)
Alexandra Shapiro

Columbia Barnard

Alexandra is a Senior at Barnard majoring in American Studies. While she isn't planning the week's pitches for Her Campus Barnard, she can be found checking her horoscope, listening to college acapella videos, decorating her room with Paris-themed accessories, or trying to imitate Charlotte from Sex and the City. She also loves self-improvement, Indian food, the Kennedys, traveling, and laughing at her brother and sister's jokes. She is spending this semester interning in MTV's Marketing department.