Collegiate Cooking: How to live off free food on campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

A few weeks ago a friend suggested that it is possible live solely off of free food on campus. It sounded reasonable, at least one flyer per announcement board offers free snacks. Besides the allure of free food it was an opportunity to get to know other student groups and take advantage of on campus resources (the edible ones at least). With zero swipes to my name and no food in the fridge, it seemed like a good a time as any to give it a try.

After scanning McAC emails and reading through dozens of flyers I attended a French film, Brazilian cultural lectures, and multiple science major meetings just to get a meal (or just some free cookies).

What it takes:

1. Lactase enzyme: this challenge is not for the lactose intolerant. Expect cheese on cheese on cheese. I ate pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  2. Food storage containers: how do you expect to carry three slices of pizza without ruining the inside of your Fjallraven backpack? Also recommended: refrigerator and water bottle.
  3. Timing: I also started my challenge at an opportune time when every science department had a majors meeting. Luckily I have a break from 12pm-1pm, which was when most of the free food events took place.
  4. Way to heat up food (at least a microwave): I suppose this isn’t necessary, I just don’t like cold pizza.
  5. Open mind: Interested in majoring in neuroscience or pursuing a career as a high school biology teacher? You are now. Be open to expanding what constitutes a “meal”.
  6. Basic acting/conversation skills: To put it bluntly, show some interest so it doesn’t look like you came just for the free food.
  7. Flexible morals: Is it stealing if they are offering? No. Is it abusing generosity to go up for thirds? No. Is it socially acceptable? Mehhh. The line between “taking advantage” and “abusing” is subjective, but showing up just for the free grub doesn’t feel exploitive if you actually participate and listen (ie do not sit in the back and whip out your phone). Though I have no plans majoring in neuroscience, listening to the professors independent research was fascinating. One professor studies how we see color and sight and another figures out how we perceive time by having students fall from various heights, making neuroscience the trippiest major ever.
  8. For the sake of the challenge, I didn’t mind taking the time to check out events that I normally would have little to no interest in attending. However, it is important to remember the food is free. It is not gourmet and certainly not healthy (I realized this not after my third consecutive pizza meal, but rather after the second spoonful of frosting). Ultimately the ends do not justify the means and it is better to just suck it up and make the trek to Trader Joe’s.
Arianna Friedman

Columbia Barnard

Liana Gergely

Columbia Barnard