2012 Record Year for Barnard Admissions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

I vividly remember the day I got into Barnard. I was NOT texting in Chorus when my Mom sent a text saying, “Envelope from Barnard” (T-9 texting was pretty difficult); I quickly responded “Ok, I will open it when I get home.”

Of course, ten minutes later, I receive another message from my mom, “Here.” My heart started racing, I quickly signed out to “go to the bathroom,” and ran downstairs to see my envelope. My mom was anxiously awaiting my arrival, saying she wanted to open it herself and could not wait until after school. As soon as I saw the Barnard folder, a huge grin spread across my face because I knew what was inside. My mom started crying and we hugged in the hallway. Being accepted to Barnard was just the beginning of an incredible college journey. 

Thank goodness I’m already here because this year there was some steep competition in the application process. Barnard received a record high of 5,440 applications for the Class of 2016! This beat last year’s record of 5,153 applications. Due to the increase in applications, the college had its lowest admit rate in its history at 21.0%, which is 3.9% lower than last year. Even the application rates for early decision increased by 2% from last year making the amount of early decision applicants 41.7% higher than just two years ago. This begs the question, what could be the cause of these record numbers? What makes Barnard continue to be the most selective women’s college in the United States?

Let’s take a step back into our collective memory and think about Barnard from the perspective of a very bewildered high school senior. Barnard offers a lot of opportunities to take a class in a subject you know nothing about (in my case, archaeology, which I loved!) in a fun environment. There is nothing more exciting than knowing you are in New York, New York with amazing restaurants to help you gain the freshman fifteen. Between trips to museums with your Art History classes to see the works of art you are discussing (which actually happens) and weekends in the Village, there is never a boring moment in the city with concerts, sports games, Broadway shows, Central Park and all the student activities on Barnard’s campus in Morningside Heights. What other college student can say they woke up Friday morning and had coffee at the Diana with Sarah Jessica Parker? Having the opportunity to access so many resources in the city makes attending Barnard a unique experience. Frank Sinatra said it best, “If I can make it make it there, I’ll make it anywhere, it’s up to you New York, New York.” Sure, it’s not the typical “college experience” in a small town in the middle of New England, but I think we all agree it’s much better.

What an applicant may not even realize is the most astounding part of walking around Barnard’s campus. The amount of incredible, accomplished young women here creates a unique atmosphere that is pretty hard to beat. Besides having professors who are brilliant and leaders in their academic fields, the student body consists of a group of young women determined to make a difference and make monumental changes in the world. For instance, some Barnard alumnae include Margaret Mead, Cynthia Nixon, Martha Stewart, Erinn Smart, Anna Quidlen and Mary Gordon (who is currently an English professor at Barnard, I highly recommend her class). Whether it is through writing, research or dance, Barnard women can flourish on this campus with the supportive administration and numerous resources available across the street at Columbia. I can only imagine these are some of the reasons for the increase in applications this year.

For the newly accepted class of 2016, congratulations! If you do not have this song already, download “Empire State of Mind,” listen to it on repeat to get excited to attend a phenomenal women’s college in one of the most exciting cities (or get re-excited if you’re experiencing a bit of a sophomore slump. It happens.). And repeat after me: “These streets will make you feel brand new, big lights will inspire you, let’s hear it for New York, New York, New York!”

Photo credit: Adrienne Hezghia

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!