This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

What do oversized leather jackets, baby doll dresses, and plaid all have in common?  They’re all ’90s trends that have once made a comeback.  The trends these days are full of nostalgia with references to the decade of the Spice Girls and grunge coming back in a big way.

Crop tops

No one could have ever imagined the huge comeback the crop top would make.  Not many have the confidence to pull of a crop top but for those that do, this has become a staple in their wardrobe.  From fancy to casual, patterned to solid, long sleeve to short sleeve, there’s a crop top out their for every outfit.  Back in the ’90s it was all about showing off your stomach with low-rise jeans, but nowadays that’s not always the case with the versatile choices made.  Although crop tops have been trendy for some time now, they don’t seem to be going away any time soon; the crop top is back with a vengeance.  

Chokers

Chokers were the “It-girl” accessory of the ’90s.  There were the classic plastic chokers, candy chokers, neon rave chokers, solid black chokers, and even pearl chokers.  It’s really no surprise that they have made a swift, fashionable comeback.  They’re so much better this time around!  Although the plastic chokers are coming back in full force, new chokers are classier, more diverse, and more abstract. 

Platform shoes

When you think Platform shoes, you think Spice Girls.  Now platform shoes are back and have been seen all over the runway and in the trendiest street styles.  These platforms add height and style to any outfit you can imagine.  Today’s platforms are worn for both function and style, adding height and lengthening the leg while adding a chunky quality to every outfit.  This unique style of footwear is ready to dominate again!

Overalls

Overalls have been making a slow and steady comeback over the past few seasons but have officially comeback in style over the festival season.  Overalls were very popular in the ’90s with girl bands and on every TV show character.  The key to mastering this trend is to stick with a tighter-fitting or cut-off overalls.  For an edgier look, you’ll often see this trend paired with a crop-top and oversized sunglasses.

Bucket Hats

Bucket hats were trendy even at their height in the ’90s thanks to the rap community making these typically functional hats into a mainstream trend.  Many rappers caught on to this trend and created new ways to wear it by switching up the colors and patterns.  Their endorsement of the bucket hat made it a must-have accessory, which has become true again.  Celebrities have once again started to bring back the bucket-hat and the general public has not taken long to follow their lead.  It’s refreshing to see these once functional hats become fashionable yet again.

Fashion repeats itself and we’re once again looking at the old made new.  In the modern trends, these ’90s styles have made full comebacks through the unique and bold ways they are being worn.  Are there any styles from the ’90s you wish would return?  Let us know in the comments below!

Rep Image, Image 1a, Image 1b, Image 2a, Image 2b, Image 3a, Image 3b, Image 4a, Image 4b, Image 5a, Image 5b