samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Dos and Don’ts of Landing an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Classes may have just started but it is never too early to start looking into internships available for next semester. Internships provide helpful work experience and can set you apart from other job applicants. However, the application process can take time. It involves collecting your best work in order to show off your skills and formatting a perfect resume. It also involves deadlines, references and hopefully an interview or two. To avoid the stress that comes with finding and applying for an intern position, follow these dos and don’ts for landing the perfect internship.

Do: take the time to read all internship information.

Many businesses have an internship section online with contact information and qualifications for interns. Reading all of the information can help you avoid asking questions that are already answered for you. It also makes sure you don’t apply for a position with qualifications higher than your own.

Don’t: rush when typing up those resumes and cover letters.

A mistake on your resume or cover letter signals a future mistake as an intern. Look over them several times before submitting them and have friends look over them, too. A simple spelling error can affect your credibility and could cost you an interview.

Do: follow up.

Many companies tell interns that they either will not respond to all applicants because of the high number of resumes they receive or that applicants can expect a response by a certain date. If a certain date is listed and you haven’t heard back, you can send a professional email following up with the application process. The company may just be behind on reviewing applicants.

Don’t: annoy your potential employer.

Following up professionally is expected in the business world, but harassing your potential employer is not. Don’t spam the internship supervisor or constantly call them. Make sure to allow them plenty of time to respond to your initial application.

Do: ask questions when being interviewed.

Many interviewers reserve the end of an interview for questions that the potential intern might have. Always ask questions, but make sure they’re educated questions. For example, asking what a typical day is like at the company shows your interest and is important for you to know.

Don’t: be too casual.

Being an intern means you’re in a professional setting. Landing that position requires dressing appropriately and listening attentively. While being friendly and casual is less stressful, make sure you see your interviewer as a superior and act accordingly.

Rep ImageImage 1Image 2

Taylor loves The Beatles, River Phoenix movies and vinyl records. She can usually be found dancing at a concert or discussing how she was born in the wrong decade.