The 4 Big to Do’s for a Healthy You, for Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

It is easy to get caught up in desiring the perfect external appearance for our bodies. We spend hours in the gym, do crunches until we cry and yet we still don’t see results. But it is important to remember, that the benefits of eating right carry a much larger significance than even working out can. Our bodies function based off of what takes place internally. Once we nail the nutrition side, our bodies will be properly fueled for fitness. Listed below are 4 healthy tips to help promote, both your inner and outer beauty!

1. Read Food Labels

It is crucial we remember the importance of food labels. Just because the front of the box says “only 70 calories” does not mean its remaining contents aren’t harmful. Most food items have at least one perk to them, which can easily be seen in a big, bold font to catch your eye. However, beware of these tricks and be smart to read the ingredients! The Organic Consumer’s Association says that the top 3 most harmful ingredients to our health are sodium nitrite, hydrogenated oils and excitotoxins. Foods with sodium nitrite in them, are processed foods like sausage, hot dogs and bacon. Hydrogenated oils can be found in manufactured foods like peanut butter, crackers and cookies. Excitotoxins are chemical additives found in canned soup, diet soda and salad dressing. These 3 ingredients alone can damage nerve cells, form brain cancer and cause heart disease. 

2. Water, Water, Water

Water is not only crucial to our survival, but it also plays a big factor in losing weight. A study held at Virginia Tech showed that people who drink water 20-30 minutes prior to each meal, lose weight quicker and keep it off longer. Our bodies cannot easily determine whether we are hungry for food or thirst. This is why we should strive to substitute part of our hunger with water, otherwise we may end up eating more food than we should. The downfall to water replacements like juices, sodas and even smoothies are their unnecessary amount of sugar. Even drinks that say “0 calories” still contain all sorts of these sweeteners. While coffee may save our late-night study hangups, it is also a diuretic, worsening our body’s water balance. Water is needed to balance the fluids inside our bodies. Make sure you drink pure, filtered water so that your body can re-hydrate itself properly. Drinking water will also improve your complexion as our skin is easily prone to water loss. 

3. Eliminate Stress

While cramming for exams and juggling a social agenda is all part of the college territory, finding the right balance can be stressful for anyone. Sometimes college can feel like one big deadline. Stress is not always easy to identify. We must first recognize the sources of our stress. What is creating this anxiety? When am I most frustrated? Why do I feel so pressured? Questioning ourselves will help force us to answer to these sources. We have so many reliable resources here on campus to enforce positive coping methods. The Student Counseling Services regularly sees individuals for issues they may need to talk about. Journaling can also be a therapeutic technique, reflecting thoughts in a more introverted manner. Stress can physically make us sick as it weakens the immune system. Don’t let emotional stress negatively affect you. Share what’s on your mind with someone, or make more time to relax. Light a candle and make a bubble bath, it’s amazing how little changes evolve into big ones.  

4. Make Your Workouts a Social Occasion

Now that we feel confident in taking care of our inner self, lets address our physical tendencies. Working out does not have to be boring! Put together a small support group and motivate each other. Staying in great shape takes willpower and consistency. But fear no more my fellow collegiates, achieving your desired fitness goal is in fact possible, I promise. For starters, find a friend who shares some of the same work-out objectives as you. This is the person you want to be your accountability partner. On the days you are in the mood to be a couch-potato, this friend will call you and say, “get up, we can do this, we can stop whenever you want to.” Once you begin to form your weekly routine, reach out to other friends. Let people in on the time frame of your exercise plan. Start out with simple activities like yoga, walking or lifting small weights. Gradually, begin to build on these activities into more extensive training, like a kickboxing class or running for 30 minutes. Your body will increase its endurance level, allowing a smoother transition into a stronger, healthier you. 

Image credits:

Kimberly is a senior at Auburn University majoring in Public Relations. On the premise of interning with University Directories this summer, she is exploring her media and marketing interests. Kimberly stays involved on campus through her social sorority and PRSSA organization. After graduation she plans to pursue a career of journalism and advertising. As a native of Sarasota, Fl, she enjoys spending her time being active outdoors.