Upcoming Movies You Don’t Want to Miss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

We can all agree that movie prices have skyrocketed, especially living in Boone where there is no student discount (boo!) However, sometimes you just have to splurge and treat yourself to a big screen movie experience. Consider watching it matinee so that you save up for the overpriced bucket of popcorn! Here are some upcoming movies that you surely don’t want to miss out on.

Fireflies in the Garden
Featuring Willem Dafoe, Ryan Reynolds and Julia Roberts
Release Date: October 14, 2011 | Trailer

Officially premiered in the 2008 Berlin International Film Festival, this movie is making its way to the American theatres! Set in present day, this drama centers on the complexities of love and commitment of a family, their domineering father, and their strained relationships. This movie is one for the sensitive gals…bring tissues.

In Time
Featuring Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfriend
Release Date: October 28, 2011  | Trailer

Think of a period when time is money, literally. The wealthy live forever while the poor get left behind begging, borrowing, and stealing minutes to make it through. Will Salas (Justin Timberlake) is falsely accused of murder and is on a mission to bring down the system with his hostage Sylvia Weis (Amanda Seyfried). This film is definitely one to write down. First of all it’s Justin Timberlake, and you can’t help but to be curious about a world when a corrupted society revolves solely on wealth and time. Foreshadow? Hm?

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part I
Featuring Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner
Release Date: November 18, 2011  | Trailer

The Twilight Saga continues with the fourth and should-have-been-last installment of this series. Vampires! Werewolves! Teen marriage! Oh my! Bella must make some life altering decisions that affect everyone in her life, while the Volturi and Quileute continue to impede. These movies have continually improved since the first Twilight movie, so I’m hopeful. The vampire craze may be near the end of its peak!

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Featuring Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara and Stellan Skarsgard
Release Date: December 21, 2011  | Trailer

A movie filled with mystery, mixed with thriller, and  paired with a side of a kick-butt-don’t-mess-with-me female, this movie is sure to keep you on the edge of your seats. This film is another book series adapted to film, which was written, by Swedish author and journalist Stieg Larsson. The film is focused on journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) and Lisbeth Salander’s search for a woman that has been missing for 40 years.

The Hunger Games
Featuring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth
Release Date: March 23, 2012 | Trailer

This is the first of Suzanne Collin’s book trilogy to be adapted into this highly anticipated film where, in the future, the Capitol chooses a boy and girl every year from each of the twelve districts aged 12 to 18 for a televised fight where only one survives. Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) takes her youngest sister’s place during the latest match. This movie will take you on a journey to the unidentified future after the destruction of North America where a new nation called Panem arises.

The Dark Knight Rises
Featuring Christian Bale, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Anne Hathaway and more.
Release Date: Summer 2012 | Trailer

We have to wait awhile for this one to come out, but I can’t help but to be excited about it! The trailer alone should give you goose bumps (along with Christian Bale). This action-filled third and final installment of director Christopher Nolan’s Batman film series is guaranteed to be a satisfying conclusion. If that won’t reel you in, how about Anne Hathaway in a tight fitting cat woman outfit (for him) and Christian Bale and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in one film (for her). Got your attention now?

Looks like you’ve got a lot of movies to save up for! Can you say matinee or redbox?

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!