Small Ways to Save Money as a Student at Appalachian State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Forget that pack of ramen noodles and staying in on the weekends. Aside from clipping coupons (although that can be helpful), here are some small ways you can save money while being an Appalachian student.

1. Use your App card!

Your App card can be utilized for more than your meal plan. It can be used off campus as well. Most, if not all, local businesses offer student discounts – all you have to do is ask! You can receive 10-20 percent just by showing your student ID and voila, instant savings. Stores range from J. Crew, Banana Republic, Earthfare to Stick Boy Bread Company.

2. Bring your own mug or thermos

Coffee takes precedent over any friendships we have in college because most of us can’t function without it. Truth is – it can get costly. Even though the cheapest way to have coffee is to make your own, you can still save money by bringing your own mug or thermos to the coffee shop. By providing your own, Boone coffee shops such as Wired Scholar, Espresso News or Crossroads will fill up your thermos (no matter the size) and charge you for the smallest size they offer. You’re not only saving money, but also getting more bang for your buck. Panera Bread also offers free refills if you order coffee in a mug. Plus, it’s eco-friendly.

3. Stay on campus

Staying on campus has its perks. There is almost always something happening on campus whether it’s a gallery opening at the Turchin Art Center, $1 movies or other various relatively cheap events. Appalachian Popular Programming Society (APPS) is a student-led program that plans campus activities such as movies, free events, concerts and more. One of their popular activities is the $1 movie. With two theatres on campus (I.G. Greer Cinema and Greenbriar Theater), there are screenings several times a week. Check out their website for the schedule and times. Be sure to hit up their concessions stand too. It’s guaranteed their prices are not of your typical theater. When you buy a $5 bucket of popcorn, reuse it each time you go to an APPS movie for just $1!

Other than APPS, be sure to check out the Appalachian homepage for other events and read your email! They are always sending reminders about upcoming events.

4. Wednesday is the new Friday

Spice up your “middle-of-the-week-blues” by enjoying Boone on Wednesday! Some favorite inexpensive activities include “Waffle Cone Wednesday” at TCBY, where you pick any ice cream in a waffle cone for $1! After ice cream (or before), head over to Boone Bowling for $1 games. Can’t beat that.

Boone Deals is also a great tool to stay updated on daily Boone specials. You can stay up-to-date with their Facebook or Twitter page about daily specials local businesses have.

[pagebreak]

5. The Internet

• Use Social Media
    For all you college students, most of us have a Facebook account and even a few of us may have ventured into having a Twitter. These social media outlets can be used for more than keeping in touch with friends (and stalking). When you follow or like certain businesses via Facebook or Twitter, you can receive special offers! You also stay up-to-date about special sales they may be having or discounts. Some even have giveaways. So go ahead, utilize your social media and start saving!
  • Use other sites
    Sites such as CrowdTap.com allow you to sample new products, participate in discussions, and complete simple surveys while you are rewarded with cash points to Amazon, product samples, and a donation to a nonprofit organization of your choice. CrowdTap automatically donates 5 percent of your profits to your charity, plus matches it along with any other donation you choose to give.
  • For all you fashionistas, let me introduce you to sample sites, where you can receive discounts off of designer fashions, accessories, and more.  Some recommended sample sites include Beyond the Rack, Haute Look and Ideeli. All you do is sign up and let them bring the sales and discounts to you. Therefore you can still shop, but save a little while doing it.

6. Anna Banana’s

Spring-cleaning doesn’t necessarily have to happen in the spring. Year round, it’s always a good idea to clean out your closet every now and then and make some extra cash from it. Anna Banana’s is a local consignment and resale store located on King Street that buys, sells, and trades clothing. You can either receive store credit or cash by bringing in your gently used clothing.  On Mondays, drop in between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. to sell clothing to the store or by appointment any other day except Tuesday.

They also offer a “Dance for Your Discount” where you receive a 10 percent discount, just by showing off your moves when you check out. Shop, dance, and save all in one place!

Other than Anna Banana’s, be sure to check out Goodwill and other local thrift stores. Ram’s Rack on King Street offers half-off clothing and shoes every Saturday and at Goodwill, you can’t beat their prices. You may have to dig through and work for your items but you have some unbeatable finds for little money!

7. Use reusable grocery bags

Another easy, simple way to save money (and save the environment) is by using reusable shopping bags. Many businesses will discount your purchases or give you cash credit (like Lowes Food) just by saving plastic. The key is to not forget your shopping bags at home before you go out shopping. Even if you save a few cents here or a few cents there, it’s better to have more cents than none. No pun intended. Plus, you can shop in style with your reusable shopping bags. Stores such as TJ Maxx sell cute ones at affordable prices and Urban Outfitters started using them instead of plastic bags.

8. More ideas?

Use RedBox! Boone is flooded with RedBox machines from Walgreen’s to Wal-Mart. Research some promo codes online where you can get a movie for FREE. Be sure to write down a handful of them because some have an expiration date or limit. Even if you don’t have a code, you can’t beat $1 newly released movie. Just remember to return it to any RedBox before 9 p.m. the next day or else the $1 movie won’t be $1 anymore.

There are tons of little ways to save money in Boone. Use your resources! Ask friends and acquaintances about deals they know of and trade information. Just remember, you can still have fun in college while keeping your wallet full and happy!

photos by: Melissa Vega

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!