Getting To Know Alexis Worthington

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Getting To Know Alexis Worthington
By:
Melissa Vega

You may have seen Alexis Worthington play at one of Boone’s local coffee shops or Legends, but if you haven’t, you really don’t want to miss out on this artist. I had the lovely opportunity to meet and interview one of Appalachian’s own talented singer/songwriters. Her music is catchy, fun, but most importantly, real. She recently signed with Appalachian’s student-led record company, Split Rail Records, so keep an eye out for her debut EP releasing soon!

Age:22
Year: Senior
Major: Music Industry Studies, Recording and Production, Business minor
Hometown: Charlotte, NC
Website: www.alexisworthington.com

Q: How did it all start? What inspired you to pursue music?
A:I started playing guitar when I was 15 so I could lead worship at church. I didn’t write my first song until my senior year of high school, and I continued writing more and more as I started college. I used to play the songs I wrote for my roommate freshman year in our tiny room in Coltrane. I didn’t really start pursuing music though until the fall of my sophomore year. I was writing more than I ever had before and, encouraged by friends around me, I booked a show at BeansTalk coffee shop. Before then, the only time I had ever played for people was in church. I was really nervous to share the songs that I’d written with a room full of people, I kind of felt like I was reading my diary out loud. But after that I knew that if writing and performing music was something I wanted to do, I should just go for it and not stress about what it would or wouldn’t turn into.

Q: What is something most people don’t know about you?
A: I’m one-eighth Japanese. No really, I am.  

Q: Any pre-show rituals?
A:Not really anything specific. I’m a very late-natured person so usually I’m just scrambling to get to the show on time! 

Q: Do you have a favorite song to perform?
A:I like performing “Make You Disappear” because I think it’s one of the strongest songs I’ve written, and it’s upbeat and fun. People have called it the “shoes” song because that’s the line that gets stuck in their heads haha.

Q: Who are your most influential artists?
A:I would say I’m influenced by Adele, Ingrid Michaelson, Maroon 5, Jack Johnson, Colbie Caillat, Jason Mraz… on and on.

Q: Who is the most influential person in your life?
A:
This is a really hard question. I have a lot of incredible mentors in my life that have encouraged me musically, character-wise, and spiritually… mostly people from church back home. I can’t really pin it all down to one person.  

Q: How would you define your sound?
A:I would define my sound, broadly, as pop. 

[pagebreak]

Q: Are you in involved with any other music-based organizations in Boone?
A:I’ve been in the Ear Candy a capella group for a few years now, and I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything. We are like a family and aside from every single girl being an incredible singer, they are incredible people. Performing with them has been a blast. 

Q: What is the process for writing and creating music?
A:
I will just say that when I’m writing, the most important thing is that the song is real and genuine. After that, I want to make sure the song is catchy and memorable. The best compliment a person can give me is “your song has been stuck in my head all week!” Usually I start with a chord progression and a melody, and I start trying out different lyrical ideas until something clicks. Normally I find a phrase that works well, and then I build on that until I get a complete concept fleshed out. Sometimes I write a song bit by bit over time, but most of my best songs were written in less than a few hours.

Q: Where is your favorite venue to play in Boone? What was your favorite show?
A:My favorite venue to play is probably Legends. It’s just a fun atmosphere. My favorite show was when I played Koncepts about a year ago.  A lot of people came out and were singing along and it was just really encouraging.

Q: What is your favorite part about Appalachian State?
A:
I love how beautiful it is up here.  Just the mountains…it’s hard to live up here and not feel blessed you know?

Q: Tell me about your experience with Split Rail Records and how it all happened!
A:Honestly I didn’t expect Split Rail to sign me! Someone in the class asked me if they could pitch my music to the class and I said sure, but in my head I was sure that they wouldn’t go for it. I was really surprised to hear that everyone in the class wanted to work with me and turn my album into a reality. 

Q: What’s coming up next for your music and after graduation?
A:That’s a scary question! Ha. I’m not sure. I will definitely continue to play shows, trying out a new music scene in Charlotte where I’ll be living post-graduation. Other than that, I feel like everything is up in the air. I have ideas about what I’ll be doing but nothing is definitive right now.

Don’t forget to check out her music at www.alexisworthington.com. You can even purchase a couple of her songs for a “name your price” deal. She has some shows lined up for the month of November. On November 9th, she will be playing at Crossroads Coffee Shop in the Student Union and on November 17th, she will be performing at Galileo’s. Write it on your hand, your calendar, a post-it, or your planner because you don’t want to miss her live!

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!