101 on Wine Part II: Red Wine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

You’ve gotten a little insight about white wine from 101 on Wine Part I: White Wine, now I would like to introduce you to part II for you to gain a little knowledge about red wine. I guarantee a glass of wine will become more enjoyable once you know a little thing or two. Forget about being intimidated, wine will open doors to your palette, dining experience, and your mind. Become just a little classier with your glass of red wine.

Here are a handful of red wines that you may enjoy. Like I said before, I am no expert at all, but surely we can learn about the art that is wine together. I’ve added pronunciations this time around, just in case!

Red Wine
Welcome to the elegant and flavorful world of red wines! Red wines are made from red grapes whereas white wines can be made from a variety of grapes because the juices are almost always clear. Red wines can be described by their “body-type.” The lighter the body type (light-bodied) the less presence it will make on the palette, making it feel more like water in the mouth. Typically the more bodied the wine, the more alcohol it contains and the heavier it feels on your palette.

1. Cabernet Sauvignon
(cah-burr-NAY saw-vee-NYONH)
This wine can also be known as the “undisputed king of red wines” because it is the most recognized and produced in all wine producing countries. These wines have flavors and aromas of dark berry, plum, and black cherry and since this wine is aged in oak barrels, flavors of spice and vanilla are apparent as well. When pairing food with Cabernet Sauvignon, it goes well with bitter dark chocolate, cheddar, mozzarella, and brie cheese, along with fatty red meats such as lamb.

2. Merlot
(mehr-LOW)
This is definitely the classic red wine. Unlike Cabernets, Merlots are plumper and softer with sweet-fruit flavors such as cherry and red or black fruit and tend to have a medium-body. Merlot is one of the more popular red wines and sits behind Cabernet Sauvignon for most grown in acres. Cabernet-like Merlots pair well with grilled and charred meat while the softer, fruitier Merlots goes well with salmon and shellfish.

[pagebreak]

3. Pinot Noir
(PEE-noh NWAHR)
Pinot Noir isn’t made as much as Cabernet only because it requires particular growing conditions. This wine has a silky smooth taste with a soft, round medium-full body. You will find flavors like plum, raspberry, black cherry and aromas of cola, a mushroomy earthiness, and wilted roses. This red wine is one of the most versatile wines to pair food with because there isn’t anything that Pinot Noir doesn’t compliment. Try leaner meats or cuts like duck, chicken, veal, Ahi tuna, mushrooms, pasta with a pink sauce or pesto, and prosciutto.

4. Sangiovese
(san-jo-veh-zeh)
If you’ve heard of Chianti wine, then you should know this is the principle type of wine used to create it. Sangiovese originates from Italy and has flavors such as a springy, cherrylike fruit with aromas such as dried roses or violets.  There is a hint of spiciness and fresh fruits like strawberry in young Sangiovese. A classic food pairing for this wine is tomato-based pasta and pizza sauces and other dishes like meatloaf or roast chicken.

Other red wines to be noted: Cabernet Franc, Petite Syrah, Syrah, Zinfandel, and Nebbiolo. Keep in mind that some table red wines are a blend of different wines, so just knowing a little bit about each wine can go a long way.  Don’t be intimidated when you’re ordering wine or looking through the wine aisle in the grocery store. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and go to wine tastings! It’s all about experimenting and finding the type and brand for you. One brand’s Merlot will be different from another’s. Read labels, Google, and be open to wine.

And keep in mind that drinking underage is illegal, so wait to open that bottle of wine until you are of age!

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!