This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

A planner can be a busy collegiette’s best friend. Sometimes, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with the to-do lists that have a way of piling up, and after scribbling everywhere, the dates and times seem to run together. Organization is not only key to success in college, but it is also essential to make use of your planner.

Follow these simple steps to ensure smooth sailing throughout the rest of your planning days!

First, find your go-to planner.Having multiple planners is confusing, and will result in less use of each of them in the end. It becomes more difficult to keep up with your information and tasks that you have to do if you have multiple planners and calendars. Here are some planners we love:

The Passion Planner

Known as “The life coach that fits in your backpack,” the passion planner allows creativity to flourish while helping you get through those busy days. Find the link to purchase one here.

Erin Condren Planner

These planners have a classic element of style while also keeping even the most hectic days organized. Find the link to purchase one here.

The Lilly Agenda

C’mon, whether you love or hate Lilly, these are great planners. So great, that they’re out of stock for the rest of the season. Never fear, you can still find them on Amazon, or through other independent botiques. These planners keep you organized, and inspired with fun stickers and different Lilly patterns for each month. Find the link to purchase one here.

Keep it colorful.

Assign each class that you’re in a color. Maybe green for math, pink for English, and so on. You can even color coat each assignment (papers can be yellow highlighter, exams red pen). Studies show that color can not only improve retention and memory, but it also calls the brains attention to certain ideas. By assigning colors to tasks, your brain will immediately recognize what needs to be done when it sees green ink or highlighter on the page. It makes the connection straight back to math. Staedtler pens are great for planners because they don’t bleed through the papers and they come in a variety of colors. You can purchase these pens here.

Make a list.

Treat every day of work like a to do list. Prioritize what you need to get done, with things that are due the soonest at the top of your list. As you get things done, check them off. This motivates you, and can help you feel like you’re really tackling your responsibilities.

Use a pencil for dates.

Things change all of the time. Formals get moved, lunch plans get cancelled, and exams get postponed. Especially during spring semester, bad weather can completely flip around a schedule. For those big dates, use a less permanent utensil, like a pencil, to avoid a sloppy looking planner.

Keep a system going.

Stay consistent with your planner to ensure little confusion about times and dates. Write daily activities or important things, such as lunch plans, tests, and meetings at the top of the lined sections in a separate color (or their assigned color). Then proceed with writing your to do list.

Don’t quit your planner.

Often times we begin the semester incredibly organized. We write everything down, and every paper has a place. However, it’s easy to begin to leave your planner behind, especially after long weekends or breaks. Don’t give up on your planner! Stay on top of your planning game with these tips, and stay persistent with your organization. A worn out planner is genuinely indicative of success. 

Photo Sources:http://whimsyatheart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Erin-Condren-life-pl…http://www.passionplanner.com/buy/http://www.lifeguardpress.com/sites/default/files/misc_images/05_2013/Lilly-Pulitzer-Large-Agenda-Dates-To-Celebrate-2014.png

Jordan is a Freshman at Appalachian State working a degree in Communications and Public Relations. She's a member of the Theta-Nu chapter of Alpha Phi, and currently serves as the Director of Target Membership Marketing for the chapter. Jordan is an intern newsdesk reporter at The Appalachian campus paper. In her free time, she loves being lazy with the gent, Lee, and their puppies; Macey, Jack, and Ruby. Her dream job is to be a News Anchor.