photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

4 Little Ways to Make Life a Little Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

With the constant stress and activity that comes with a new semester, we collegiettes often forget to find time for the little things in life. Try these four little things that don’t take much time or money to add a little more happiness into your day. 

Light some candles.

Lighting a candle or two is the perfect way to end the day. Candles can be purchased in a variety of different scents, such as calming lavender, or sweet vanilla. Scents such as lavender or peppermint are proven to reduce stress, and can easily be implemented into your routine with a quick trip to the Walmart candle section. For many, the flickering light of a candle also provides a relaxing sensation, but if actual flames scare you, invest in a candle warmer for the same authentic feeling.

source

Drink tea.

If the idea of sitting down with a hot mug of tea hasn’t already warmed your heart, think of all the health benefits that different teas can provide: they contain lots of antioxidants, help with hydration, and many teas provide a daily caffeine fix. My favorite place to drink tea, Yosefa Antiquitea, is located right next to The Local on Howard Street, and offers dozens of different, delicious options. Try a cup of “Happy Tea,” which is gaurenteed to make any collegiette’s day better.  Whether you seek weight loss, energy, immune support, or just a yummy hot drink, there is a perfect tea for every collegiette! Try using this quick chart to find your match made in heaven:

source

Doodle!

Doodling is my absolute favorite, most underappreciated art. While professors may not initially approve of the scribbles on the sides of your paper, many professionals are not informed on the many benefits of this valuable hobby. Doodling is shown to increase creativity, improve focus and memory, and help us to foster understandings of the larger picture. One of my favorite ways to doodle is through “Zentangles,” which is “an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns.” Every collegiette should give this technique a try when in need of a creative outlet.

(source) 

Read for pleasure.

This one seems obvious, but it’s shocking how many collegiettes don’t read for pleasure in college. Many collegiettes use the excuse that they don’t have time for pleasure reading when they have so much reading for class as it is. In order to squeeze some fun reading into your day, try by carrying your favorite book with you EVERYWHERE you go. You will be surprised by the amount of opportunities to read will arise.  Try reading while you wait for your late professor, or while you wait for your friend to meet you in Crossroads, INSTEAD of scrolling through social media on your phone.

Katy Huis

App State

Katy Huis is a Junior Elementary Education Major studying at Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. She enjoys reading, writing, eating and talking. She finds enjoyment in children, animals and her family and friends.