Will Kamin ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Name: Will Kamin

Hometown: Chicago, IL

Class Year: 2015

Dorm: Coolidge

High School: New Trier

Major: Political Science

Favorite Class: Hmm….either Reading the American South with O’Connell, Mellon Seminar on Latin American Political Economy with Corrales, or The Art of Beholding with Upton.

Ideal Date: Just making it through a whole date without talking too loudly, getting food on my face/clothes/date, or tearing a paper napkin up into lots of tiny pieces on my plate when I’m done eating.

Spirit Animal: My cat, whose full name is Turkey Baby Meow Meow Choo-Choo Hi Cat Bye Cat Train Spaceship Baseball Al Gore Hockey Stick [continue list of references to young Will Kamin’s serial obsessions]. And yes, that’s actually my cat’s name. I had way too much free time in elementary school.

If you could visit any country in the world, where would you go: ‘Merica. It’s the best country.

If you could have one super power, what would it be: I’d love to be able to read books incredibly closely without taking hours and hours and hours to finish them. As it is, I’m a brutally slow reader.

Dream job: The grand plan is to spend 3-4 years at some soulless job, make a total killing there; then buy a farm someplace in rural New England, marry some really sweet girl, live off the farm, and teach English and coach rowing at an idyllic boarding school. If that didn’t work out, I figure Secretary of State would make a fairly solid backup dream job…

Favorite tv show/movie: Eastbound and Down, Alain Resnais’ Providence (1977), Beavis and Butt-head…how’s that for range?

Relationship status: Great question.

Extracurriculars: Crew, research assistant in English and PoliSci, and shenanigans.

Craziest thing you’ve ever done: At the end of my freshman crew season, our boat finished 0.4 seconds out of the medals at a big national regatta, and I was pretty bummed about that. So that night, I threw my buddy’s old dresser–with his permission–off the 3rd story fire escape outside of Crossett (throwing dressers off of buildings can be really cathartic, in case you were curious). This, my friends tell me, was the only cool thing I’ve ever done in my time at Amherst.

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.