Getting in Shape on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Spring break is less than a month away
, which means you only have to stick it out in this New England winter and suffer through the second semester workload for four more weeks before you get to enjoy a much needed vacation. For those of you planning on travelling, break promises a little bit more than your typical R&R, bringing with it beaches and bikinis as you head down towards the equator. And you know what that means…time to get in shape! HerCampus is thrilled to provide you with this list of helpful on campus resources for getting that beach bod in time for break.

Take advantage of all the fun (and free!) workout classes offered weekly at the gym.

• Zumba, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 5-6
  • Pilates, Thursday from 3-4
  • Spring Break Abs, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4-5
  • For the full list of classes, click here

Contact the school nutritionist for a consultation, and develop your personal healthy eating plan.

• To book an appointment, call 542-2266

Walk into town and check out the new spinning studio that just opened! They offer your standard spinning classes, as well as fusion classes that target other areas of your body, like Spin and Abs and Spin Yoga.

Flip through the S.H.E’s “Val Recipe Book,” filled with creative ideas for eating healthy at the dining hall without sacrificing palatability. Because sometimes Val’s same old dishes and your salad and sandwich standbys could use some spicing up. To get your own Recipe Book, have your RC request a copy from she@amherst.edu

For the adventurous fitness enthusiasts, head over to UMass and explore their incredible gym. For ten dollars you can take any class you want, from cardio kickboxing to insane body challenge. If you decide to try one out, get ready for a high energy, nonstop exercise adventure!

• See which classes look good to you 

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.